New Year’s resolutions do not always work out

Graphic By Kyle Pearson

By Rebekah Frank

As students return from winter break, having gained an extra pound or two after indulging in holiday goodies, many have resolved to lose weight in the New Year.

According to the New York Times, the average weight gained during the holidays is about one pound, yet most people never manage to lose that one extra pound.

EWU Health, Wellness and Prevention Services director Tricia Hughes said, “Weight loss tends to be a very popular New Year’s resolution and people don’t tend to stick to their New Year’s resolution.”

While it is hard for some college students to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight while also juggling school, work, homework, family and social life, the EWU health and wellness staff have several tips.

Hughes said, “Don’t go through Baldy’s with a tray, only get what you can carry.”

Other tips include taking the stairs, parking farther away from buildings and walking, not sitting for more than a couple hours and finding a friend to work out with you.

The URC would like to remind students that their “Resolution Solution” program will be available during winter quarter. It is an eight-week weight loss and fitness program that is focused on full body circuits and interval training. Students can sign up in the fitness center for the time that works best for them. For more information, contact the URC.

“I think people are aware of the tips they need, it is just the motivation of following through,” said Hughes.

According to Hughes, it seems as though most students whose resolution is to either lose weight or maintain a healthy weight, get discouraged because they messed up their diet or are not seeing results.

EWU athletic trainer Tyler Bridges said, “Don’t get depressed if you don’t see results right away because it takes time.”

Diets and exercise plans can also seem intimidating at times, especially when results are not immediate. “Really it is about adopting healthy habits that are going to do well for your whole life. … It doesn’t have to be all or nothing,” said Hughes.

Students who are wishing to lose weight can reach their goals one step at a time by following the instruction of those around them.“It’s going to end up coming down to consistency … it definitely has to be a priority,” said EWU athletic trainer Trevor Jollie.

Students are reminded that they have many options to seek help in their fitness goals, including visiting the Health, Wellness and Prevention Services or setting up a free consultation with a fitness trainer at the URC.

“Change is hard, and any change is in the right direction. It is not all or nothing, so if you mess up, just start again tomorrow, … take it one day at a time and keep your progress moving forward,” said Hughes.