Search Easterner Online
Archive: 2012-Current

EagleAXIS provides employment options for students on campus

eaglelife

By Kailee Dunn

The hustle and bustle of the holiday season is gone, but it does not mean your money has to completely disappear as well.

With the New Year just beginning, students are hunting for new jobs. Luckily, there are opportunities on and off campus for both work-study and non work-study students.

All on-campus jobs are posted on EagleAXIS and posts are updated regularly. Students are encouraged to check the website at least every other day.

However, there are several questions a student should think about before applying for a job.

First, how many credit hours are you enrolled in?

According to Sheryl O’Keefe, human resource consultant with Student Employment, a student may only be eligible for an on-campus position if they are enrolled in a minimum of six credit classes.

Second, are you eligible for work-study?

“Look for [work-study eligibility] on your FAFSA award letter,” said O’Keefe. “It will be listed on there.”

To qualify for work-study for the next academic year, students need to fill out the FAFSA and turn it in by Feb. 15.

O’Keefe said, “You want to make sure you check the box [on the FAFSA application] that says something like ‘I am willing to work for my money.’”

As for those who do not receive work-study eligibility, O’Keefe encourages students not to fret. In fact, 75 percent of jobs offered on campus are offered to non work-study students.

As of Jan. 15, there were nine job openings on EagleAXIS for students who are non work-study and 17 possible positions for students who do qualify for work-study, such as a tutor in the EWU Learning Commons or as a sports official for intramural sports.

Virginia Hinch, student affairs director for career services, mentioned that students who have on-campus jobs tend to receive better grades and stay in school.

Junior Kailee Sax has worked on campus at PUB Eagle Espresso for a little over two years now. She knows how accommodating having a job on campus can be.

“They work around my school schedule,” said Sax. “Also, it’s close to home and I can walk to work in 10 minutes. I enjoy working there because I like making people’s mornings.

While a job on campus may sound appealing, there is one more question a student should ask: How many hours can you work?

“Students are held to 19 hours a week,“ O’Keefe said, “no matter how many jobs you have.”

If students need to work more than 19 hours, there are also a number of off-campus job openings. EagleAXIS also posts off-campus job openings and internships.

To ensure that students are doing their best within the workforce, EWU Career Services staff assist students in many facets.

Hinch strives to help Eastern students find their interests and strengths and helps them declare their major.

“Interviews, that’s another area where students get really nervous,” Hinch said. “We sit down with them and practice interviews.”

Mock interviews are just one of the many services offered by career services. They also help to construct effective résumés and cover letters.

For advice on anything career related advisors are available in the EWU Learning Commons on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

“We also do other things throughout the year,” said Hinch. “We will have workshops on different topics.“

This is the 6th annual Work It! Career Conference will be held on Feb. 7 from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the PUB MPR. Over 50 employers, such as Washington Trust Bank and Itron, will be present to answer questions.

This conference has a $5 entrance fee, but scholarships are available and lunch will be included.  Register online here.

“If you are not seeing something that interests you, just keep checking back,” said O’Keefe. “Do check with dining services. They are our biggest employer on campus.”

Sax was hired by dropping off her application to a manger with dining services

“You can get applications at the EagleCard office in Tawanka,” said Sax. “I started out as an on-call employee … but I worked my way up.”

To contact career services, call 509-359-6365 or visit them in Showalter 114. Or schedule an advising appointment using EagleAXIS.