Race for the cure

Race for the cure

Courage comes in many forms, and the world is full of heroes. My mother is a hero. In 1987 my mom lost her fight with breast cancer; I was seven. Last year I discovered a way to honor her courage and improve my own health at the same time, and so can you. Go home and give your mom a hug, thank her for being there for you, and then bring her with you when you join me next April in downtown Spokane for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. The event is a family friendly 5k run or 3k walk to celebrate the lives of those women who are living with breast cancer, the ones who have beat it, and those we have lost along the way. Every year many of those same women participate in this event along with those of us who support them. You will know courage when you look into the face of a cancer survivor as you cheer for her when she crosses the finish line, and you will have met a real-life hero when you congratulate her after the race. While you’re out on the course, look for me; you will know me when you see the “In memory of Sharon Lloyd” sign taped to my back as I’m running past you! For information and to register visit www.komeneasternwashington.org, and don’t forget to wave when you see me there!

Donald Lloyd