International students showcase their talents with campus event

By Kailee Dunn

Many EWU students are unaware of the musical talent located amongst the students of the International Student Association at Eastern.

On March 7, the ISA will host an entertainment show in the PUB Fireside Lounge at 2 p.m.

ISA President Lucy Wu said that two students from the club will be performing.

First to perform is senior Khalid Alreshaid, who is originally from Saudi Arabia. He will be playing the guitar and singing covers of James Blunt songs like “You’re Beautiful,” “Heart to Heart” and “Stay the Night,” in addition to some original songs he wrote.

“In summer 2005, I bought my first guitar and learned by myself. I’m not really sure how actually,” Alreshaid said.

Recently, Alreshaid released his first album on iTunes titled, “I’ll Be There.”

While most of his music is based around romance, he also divulged that he writes music about his younger brother, whom he only gets to see every two years because he is in Saudi Arabia.

The second performer is senior Ivy Choi, who is from Hong Kong.

“I am going to play piano and I am going to play classical music,” Choi said.

According to their website, the EWU International Student Association is a club which offers cultural education and social interaction for both international and American students.

“The club right now is pretty diverse. We have students here from Hong Kong, we have Japanese students, students from Taiwan, Saudi Arabia and America,” Wu said.

Noriko Sunada, secretary of the ISA, explained that all students are invited to join the club.

“It gives a lot of students a [different] perspective from outside the United States,” said Sunada.

Wu said right now they have around eight to 10 members since the club was reactivated this year.

“ISA was kind of a big deal a few years ago, but since the last president graduated, we kind of disappeared for a while,” said Wu. “So, we just kind of started up [again].”

The ISA meets Fridays at 1 p.m. in Hargreaves 119.

For more information on getting involved with the ISA, visit their Facebook page at EWU International Student Association or email them at [email protected].

“[The event] is kind of like a promotion for our club. We want to share music and share something fun and then share some information about us,” Sunada said.