Eastern students prepare to raise awareness on MLK Jr. Day

By Rebekah Frank

As Martin Luther King Jr. Day approaches, there are many opportunities to be active in
the community.

Students are beginning to plan their three-day weekend and are looking for ways to spend their free time. The faculty at the EWU Office of Community Engagement would like to invite students to participate in the MLK Jr. Day Unity March.

The march takes place at the INB Performing Arts Center on Jan. 20. There will be a group of Eastern students and faculty at the march holding the EWU flag. Students who would like to participate in the march with the EWU group are encouraged to wear Eastern apparel in order to support the Eagles.

In addition to the march, there are service events being introduced this year. One event is the infant clothing bank, where students can help sort the items donated for infants. There are eight different sites at which events will be hosted by groups such as the Red Cross.

For any students who would like to participate, the Office of Community Engagement will have a recreational bus at EWU in the morning and at noon to take students to the march and the service events. Students are also encouraged to register for the recreational bus as soon as they can to reserve seats.

This event is focused on Martin Luther King Jr.’s famous quote, “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is ‘What are you doing for others?’”

According to EWU Eagle Volunteers Program Coordinator Gabby Ryan, this event is a chance for students to give back to their community and help others in need.

The march ends at Riverfront Park in Spokane where there will be a resources fair. This fair will showcase many resources available in the community, and the opportunities for people to get involved. For more information, or to register, contact the EWU Office of Community Engagement.

“What I love about [this event] is the people. I think it gets bigger and bigger every year, and it’s just really a great moment of solidarity with our community and a great way to recognize Doctor King,” said EWU Director of Community Engagement Molly Ayers.

In addition to these events, the EWU Black Student Union is also holding the “Light For Light,” candle lighting event on Jan. 17. It is in honor of Martin Luther King Jr., and also serves as a memorial for anyone who has been affected by, or lost their life due to, violence.

The goal, according to EWU Black Student Union President, Satori Butler, is to bring awareness to the violence going on around us and those people who are affected by it. There are many people who either are themselves a victim of violence or know someone who is, and the EWU BSU would like to offer support, through the candle lighting, to those people.

“Our whole objective is to get everyone to come together and understand what is going on and know we are all here together,” said Butler. “You don’t have to be alone. And then to honor Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy about bringing the peace out of that.”

The event will feature a vocal performance by a member of the BSU, guest speaker Tommy Williams Jr. and a balloon release. For more information, contact the EWU Black Student Union.

“We can end [violence] if we work together to do so,” said Butler.