Search Easterner Online
Archive: 2012-Current

Who puts Hungarian goat horn peppers on a hot dog?

by Christina Jordan
Staff Reporter
[email protected]

Have you ever tried bacon and chili cheese on a hot dog? How about crushed potato chips or sauerkraut? The menu at Loco Dogz includes a variety of choices.

There are 11 varieties of hot dogs on the menu, and customers are also invited to build their own from a list of ingredients such as homemade coney sauce, coleslaw, neon relish, salsa, goat horn peppers and cream cheese.

The variety on the menu presents an authentic representation of the way hotdogs are made in different regions of the world, from Venezuela to West Virginia.

Daniel Koerner has been an employee at Loco Dogz for the last couple of months.

“My favorite combination is the Chicago Dog,” said Koerner. “It has a spicy, peppery twang, but it is combined with sweet relish. It is also relatively low in calories.”

One of the most popular dogs, the “Jalisco Dog,” is an all-beef hot dog surrounded by crispy bacon, slathered with fresh barbeque salsa roja and chili-cheese sauce and garnished with pickled jalapenos.

This combination makes for a sweet and spicy dog with a crunchy twist.

“If you put bacon on anything, people will buy it,” said Koerner.

The “Jalisco Dog” is a favorite of Tori Bogue, a shift leader at Loco Dogz.

“We take a lot of pride in what we have to offer,” said Bogue. “It’s not just a hotdog.”

The prices of the dogs range from $3.50 to $6.50.

If customers have a hole in their wallet, it may be best just to buy the standard ketchup, mustard, onion and relish dog, called the “Loco Dog.”

When customers are feeling more adventurous and less thrifty, they may be delighted by the varied tastes in the “So-Cal Dog,” which comprises an all-beef dog with sliced avocado, tangy cilantro lime mayonnaise sauce and mango salsa.

While customers order at the Subway-style assembly line, they may watch as their hot dog is grilled and may be asked what kinds of sauces or garnishings they would prefer.

The sweet, spicy aroma of these signature hot dogs accompany the low-lit blend of modern and antique decorations and seating that contribute to the atmosphere of Loco Dogz.

As customers order, they may entertain themselves by observing the uncommon decorations scattered on the walls.

These include license plates on the ceiling, 1950s style car doors on either side of the menu, a large chalkboard, black stage-like curtains around the television, a fur-covered corner chair and antique advertisements for Wonderbread, iced tea and Clabber Girl baking powder.

Workers talk to the customers as they build the hot dog; whether it be a custom dog or one off the menu, there are always questions to ask about sauces and sides.

There are several eating area options; one is the traditional bar-stool with a view out the window and another is the “table for two.”

Still another choice offers a living room style seating area, equipped with a corner couch, a large coffee table and several cushioned chairs, all positioned around the television.

“The atmosphere is very original here, and it is very organized,” said Swen Bergman, a customer and hopeful future employee of Loco Dogz.

With the inviting atmosphere and the relatively well-priced food at Loco Dogz, the service is also fast and friendly, although it would not be an ideal visit for a 10 minute passing period because of its location in downtown Cheney.

“A lot of people do not know how many different ways that you can eat a hotdog,” said Bogue. “When I start explaining the menu, people’s eyes get wide and their mouth drops open. It’s not just a ketchup and mustard place.”