Letter to the editor: Response to Washington state assault weapons ban column

Under the original text of Senate Bill 5737, possession of this AR-15 would require owners to submit to warrantless home inspections.

My father and I would like to thank Kyle Harding for his Feb. 27 article titled “Washington State Senate Bill 5737 assault weapons ban is an assault on individual liberty.” I’m sure that this article has helped educate students and faculty on the real intent of some of our senators. I belong to a military family where all of my uncles are retired Marines and my father is a retired Green Beret. These men, and many like them, understand their oaths to uphold the Constitution of the United States from enemies both foreign and domestic. This debate on gun control is a serious matter which I hope will end as it started.

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”

— Thomas Jefferson, “The Thomas Jefferson Papers.”

Daniel White