Seattle band sets thumping beats for Pride Week

By Rebekah Frank

Joshua Frazier (left) and Florin Merano (right) disc jockey their music in the PUB lounge on the first floor on April 24. Photo by Karissa Berg

On April 24, students and faculty gathered around the lounge by the bookstore and bobbed their heads along with Go Periscope’s electronica indie-rock vibes.

Go Periscope is a Seattle-based band. The band got started when one of the members, Joshua Frazier, heard an electronic song his friend Florin Merano had made. Frazier himself was producing music at the time as well, and he asked Merano if he could add his guitar to the song.

After that, the two decided to collaborate on demos and began getting local radio play. Frazier said they added Seth Bolin to the group to perform as a live drummer.

“Since then, we have formed the collective that is Go Periscope, where we all three write, produce and perform our music,” said Frazier.

EWU junior Enrique Martinez said he enjoyed their different style of music.

“I thought the band was good. They played very moving music, and by the end of the day, they had a [legitimate] crowd,” said Martinez.

According to EWU pride center student worker Sierra VanderHoogt, Go Periscope’s music was featured on MTV reality shows “The Hills” and “The Real World.” They are also one of 16 bands that faced off tournament style to be the first unsigned band to appear on a Rolling Stone cover.

As students walked past the lounge on their way to get lunch from Baldy’s, a coffee from the PUB espresso stand or to head out to class, many stopped to listen. Other students pulled their phones out and started recording parts of the performance with smiles on their faces.

A few students on the second floor of Baldy’s moved their lunch trays to the tables closer to the action so they could enjoy their meal while listening to the beats.

EWU senior Jessareh Helm said, “They were really good. They played a song I really liked, but it was different, and I liked it.”

VanderHoogt said she likes supporting up-and-coming Washington bands.

“I brought them to EWU because I had seen them in concert before with my partner and met them. They were very sweet and seemed genuinely interested in meeting their fans,” said VanderHoogt.

This is evident in their demeanor and interaction with the crowd while they perform. Throughout the performance, the band members continuously smiled, even though they were wrapped up in mixing and performing.

“I think they will bring to EWU a sense that you can do what you love successfully without having a record label or a lot of money to help you,” said VanderHoogt.

Frazier said the thing he likes most about music is that it can reach people and tell a story.

“Music is this universal language that has the ability to say what people sometimes need to hear, even if it isn’t directly written into the lyrics or melodies,” said Frazier.