Veterans Center offers support to those who served

By Shannon Bedell, Eagle Life Writer

Photo by Sam Sargeant EWU veteran, Cole Cummings, studies at the veterans lounge in Showalter. Cummings was an aircraft mechanic in the Navy for four years.
Photo by Sam Sargeant
The veterans lounge, located on the ground floor of Showalter Hall, is an open space where veterans study and socialize.

For over 600 students on campus, Veterans Day means remembering the time they and their comrades in arms spent fighting for their country.

Nov. 11 marks the 94th anniversary of Veterans Day which started in 1919 when President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed Nov. 11 the first Armistice Day. On May 13, 1938, Congress made it a legal holiday and changed the name to Veterans Day.

This Veterans Day, students have the opportunity to honor loved ones who served by writing personal messages at the “Say ‘Thank You’ to a Veteran” event sponsored by the Veterans Resource Center in the JFK Library. The library will have a display area set up with a wall for posting pictures and stories from Nov. 1-15. Students and community members will be able to put up pictures, write notes and leave messages as a small way to say thank you to family, friends and students who have served.

The Veterans Resource Center offers critical services and support for veterans, active-duty, National Guard and reserve military personnel, their spouses and dependents.

Some of the main things they help with on a regular basis are helping veterans receive their GI Bill benefits, referrals to campus services, job placement and workshops.

“Most of our student veterans have a Post 9/11 GI Bill. It provides them pay for their education, book stipend and a housing allowance. We have to certify their classes so that they can receive their benefits,” said Dave Millet, Director of the Veterans Resource Center.

Photo by Sam Sargeant The veterans lounge, located on the ground floor of Showalter Hall, is an open space where veterans study and socialize.
Photo by Sam Sargeant

The center also helps many student veterans transition into the school environment. Some of the workshops sponsored by the center focus on how to translate a veteran’s military experience into a résumé. The center also has a lounge attached complete with a small computer area and various areas to work alone or in groups.

“I think one of the things that is less tangible is the social connection the center provides,” said Millet. “In the lounge, we have created a space that this university never had where student veterans can come in, meet each other, realize they are in the same classes and form informal study groups.”

While the center is new to campus, according to a Veterans Center informational pamphlet, it is the largest Veterans Resource Center in the Pacific Northwest.

Sean Pelfrey, a senior in secondary education, social studies and English, served 23 years as a Navy combat engineer.

Pelfrey explained that he was an instructor in the Navy and has always had a passion for literature and history. He loves to teach, which led him to the education program when he returned.

“Through my background, I have learned attention to detail, discipline and maturity. I have my goals and know what I want to do,” said Pelfrey.

Pelfrey uses the lounge at the center frequently and thinks of it as a quiet place to come study. He calls it a safe environment for veterans and enjoys the events offered by the center because they are veteran centered.

Veterans will also be honored at the third annual military and veterans appreciation football game on Nov. 23. Tickets will be available at no cost to veterans and military families. Those interested in obtaining tickets can contact the Veterans Resource Center for more information.