EWU, Cheney Police respond to bomb threat

By Davis Hill, Staff Writer

Area police responded to a  bomb threat on Eastern’s campus June 5.

At approximately 10 a.m. June 5, local police received a call alerting them to the threat, according to EWU Director of Media Relations Dave Meany. The threat originated from a note found by a student in the communications building.

In response to the threat, Cheney and EWU police evacuated the fine arts complex, telling  students to “get as far away as you can,” according to art student Reanne Lee. They also called in a canine bomb squad unit from Spokane.

Students received an EWU Alert notice at approximately 10:33 a.m. warning them of the threat.

As of 11:30 a.m., police had cordoned off 7th St between Washington and H Sts. Officers directed pedestrians and bystanders to stay away from the arts complex.

Slightly before 1:30 p.m., police cleared the arts, communication, theater, radio/TV, and music buildings for reentry.  According to Meany and other campus officials, no explosives were found. The EWU Police website confirms that no device was found.

A canine bomb squad vehicle is parked in the music building parking lot at 1:30 p.m. Its members aided in the bomb search on EWU's campus earlier today. Photo by Davis Hill.
A canine bomb squad vehicle is parked in the music building parking lot at 1:30 p.m. Its members aided in the bomb search on EWU’s campus earlier today. Photo by Davis Hill.