University curriculum challenged at BSU forum

Photo by Jessica Hawley

Panel speakers: Satori Butler (far left), BSU President; Easterner staff, as well as Africana Studies Department professors and students.

By Nathan Peters and Alla Drokina, for the Easterner

Eastern boasts as one of the most diverse campuses in Washington state, yet lately situations and feedback have arose that point to a less-than-racially-inclusive campus.

Eastern’s Black Student Union hosted a forum on Nov. 14 in response to the “Protests in Missouri unfair to local businesses” article published in Issue 4 of The Easterner.

According to Scott Finnie, Ph.D., interim director and professor of the EWU Africana Education Program, the forum’s aim was to provide open discussion and awareness.

The forum had nine panelists: BSU President Satori Butler; BSU representative Lenae Dedmon; BSU representative Ariel McMillian; BSU representative Damony Anderson; student Samuel Deal; BSU representative Fetlew Gebreziabher; BSU representative Ayanna Fernandez; Pride Center representative Suzy Halberstadt and Africana Studies Professor Rachel Doležal.

The panelists discussed their personal viewpoint regarding the article and their own experiences with discrimination. Doležal presented a brief overview on the history of law enforcement in correlation with the African-American community.

An open session was held for attendees to speak about their opinion on the forum topics and ask questions to the panel speakers.

Eastern students, faculty, staff and administration were in attendance at the forum. The panelists gave the floor to the audience members to ask questions and speak their minds, but also to educate others.

Finnie said, “The pathway to change is to first have a consciousness and an awareness, then have some educated interaction, and we believe this forum was the start of that to generate change that will be lasting.”

Butler said the forum was an opportunity to “take a stance and make a change.”

Butler said, “I feel that it’s necessary to educate those who think that certain things that were said in that opinion piece were correct … [the writer] is entitled to his opinion and others are entitled to their opinion, but the actual knowledge and education behind it was not represented in the opinion piece and we feel that in a higher education institution, knowledge is very important.”

Butler said BSU is “pushing for education majors to have education diversity training added to their main requirements” and for faculty and staff to have diversity training as well.

Rahel Wondimu, secretary of the Africana Department, said the steps for a more racially-inclusive community starts with education.

“While you’re at school, you should take every advantage you can get to be well-rounded culturally and understand the role of diversity,” said Wondimu.