Student-Athletes remain active over break

By Elohino Theodore, Senior Sports Reporter

The Eastern Washington University Athletics Department and their student-athletes are showing no signs of slowing down this summer.

“We have a number of rules that govern each of our sports,” Director of Athletics Bill Chaves said. “They all have different ways in which they can train during the summer.”

Chaves explained that Eastern’s student-athletes have summer accommodations for their education and training. “Most of our football players do stay in Cheney over the summer to work out and just to get ready for the season,” Chaves said.

“A lot of our student-athletes are in summer school too,” Chaves said. During this time, coaches are allowed by NCAA rule to work with their student-athletes for two hours a week.

Chaves said the incoming freshmen attend one class during summer quarter for Eastern’s basketball teams. “That was an NCAA rule that was put in place about three or four years ago,” he said.

In addition to summer workouts, there will be a variety of camps at EWU.

The football team will host eight different camps from June 18 to July 26. These range from quarterback, wide receiver and defensive back training to individual and team camps for younger and older players.

The men’s basketball team will also host summer camps from June 20 to Aug. 2. The specific types will be an elite camp for older athletes, an individual camp, an advanced skills camp and an Eagle shooting academy for fourth through 12th graders

Men’s basketball will take part in other activities this summer as well.

“In June, we will put all our energy into raising over $150,000 of resource for our program from private donations,” head men’s basketball coach Jim Hayford said. “We’ll spend in the month of July, about 18 days on the road recruiting, and then we’ll come back in August and we’ll get some vacation time.”

Women’s basketball has camps active from June 16 to Aug. 1. The events are Little Eaglets Camp for elementary school children, Soaring Eagles Camp for sixth to eighth grade students, a position skills camp and team camp for older athletes.

EWU Volleyball camps are from July 8 to 17, ranging from an individual camp for athletes, ages 12-18, a team camp at the high school level and a camp for young athletes, ages seven to 11. Eastern volleyball will cap off their events with a summer tournament for junior varsity and varsity high school teams.

The Eastern soccer team will host the Adidas Eagle Spring Summer ID Camp for high school athletes, goalkeeper soccer camp for ages 11-18 and the Eagle Residential Camp for eighth through 12th graders. These soccer camps are from June 23-July 16.

EWU will also host Iron Wood 2014, which is a development camp for track and field throwers.

Assistant director for compliance, Joel Vickery and Chaves said how the administrative staff of the Eastern Athletic Department stay busy during the summer months. “You’re always preparing because you have incoming student-athletes,” Vickery said. “You have eligibility to track, that’s what I do after grades post at the end of the spring quarter.”

Vickery said the athletic department updates their paperwork for the next school year. “We revamp our policies and procedures,” Vickery said. “There’s always a lot to do in preparation for next year.”

“We’re kind of gearing up for the next academic year,” Chaves said. “I’ve got two Big Sky meetings, one in the spring here in June, one in July. I’ve got two national meetings that are going on in June and July as well, so it’s a busy time.”

Vickery views the summer break as a time for preparation and rest. “It’s both, I mean [student-athletes] do go on vacations, they celebrate the holidays, they go and do things they want to do,” Vickery said. “They have more time to do both, a lot of them do take a break from school and so they have time to get better.”