Eagles football hires former wide receiver for next season

Photo by Sam Sargeant

Former wide receiver Nicholas Edwards returns to Eastern as the new wide receiver coach.

By Elohino Theodore, Sports Writer

Former EWU star wide receiver who played for Eastern from 2009-2012, will be sharing his craft with future generations of Eagles for the next several years.

Nicholas Edwards, who is 24 years old, began his new staff position on March 17. Edwards participated in his first practice as a coach on April 4 during the team’s first spring practice.

As a former player, Edwards was a walk-on athlete who gradually improved to become an All-American wide receiver and start 45 out of 50 games in his career. He also has 215 catches, which is ranked fourth in school history.

He also made 33 touchdown receptions during his career, which is ranked second in EWU history. Edwards has 2,634 receiving yards for his career as well. A crucial element to the 2010 football team, he helped win the NCAA Division I championship during his sophomore year as starter.

According to goeags.com, Edwards planned on attending training camp for the professional Canadian football team, the Edmonton Eskimos. He passed on that opportunity to start his career as a coach.

Edwards will replace Junior Adams, who left the position to be the wide receiver coach for the Boise State football team. Before trying out for professional football teams such as the Arizona Cardinals and the Seattle Seahawks. Edwards also worked as a strength and conditioning assistant in 2013 after graduating in 2012.

As a former player to be able to be on the coaching staff of his team, Edwards explained what this means to him. “It’s an honor; it’s a blessing for me to be able to get this job,” Edwards said. “I’m only the second guy on staff that played for the university and now coaches, so it’s a great opportunity for me and, I’m glad.”

Edwards also mentioned what skills he will bring to the team as coach. “My experience. I played here and I know the conference inside and out,” Edwards said. “I studied hard, so I know each school and I know how to attack each school and I know how much preparation it takes to be successful.”

Offensive coordinator and former EWU center Aaron Best gave his views on what Edwards will bring to the table as a coach. “It’s nice to have another Eagle on staff because I am the only former player on staff,” Best said.

“He is professional beyond his years. If you run into him, he is as professional as they come. That’s how he played.”

Best goes on to mention what Edwards is like as a person. “He’s very happy in his faith. He’s very religious on how he goes about his antics,” Best said. “He got married as a player, so you tell me how many guys that you know got married in college.

I’m not telling you anything you won’t find out once you do meet him.” Best stated that Edwards is very highly competitive and businesslike.

With Edwards being the new member of the coaching staff, Best has some advice for the rookie coach. “I think, in a weird way, there’s a lot of parallels between [Edwards] and myself,” Best said.

“I was coaching guys that I played with, and the separation is harder when you don’t prepare as well and as [a] professional, he does, so that won’t be that hard.” Best mentioned that Edwards should not change, to carefully think things through and to always share ideas with the team if something comes up.

Edwards talks about some of the things he will look forward to as a coach. “I’m excited to just have the one-on-one time, the group time with everybody. Just to see how far they’re going to come from when I’m coaching now until they’re seniors until they’re out of here,” Edwards said.

Edwards plans on making an impact on the team with his approach to football. “[The players] know what I’m going to bring as a coach,” Edwards said. “They’re going to know my work ethic; they’re going to know that we’re going to compete each day at a high level.”