Eastern falls to Southern Utah in a close game

By Elohino Theodore

EWU played on the road against Southern Utah on Jan. 25, where they lost 62-61.

In the first half, sophomore guard Hayley Hodgins scored four of Eastern’s points to give her team a 4-2 lead. Southern Utah later went on a 7-2 run for the next five minutes. Senior center Laura Hughes cut the Thunderbirds’ lead to one, however Southern Utah would answer with a 9-0 run.

Hodgins scored a jump shot to get the Eagles going. But Southern Utah continued to stay aggressive by increasing their lead by 14 points with 6:55 left in the first half. Freshman guard Bethany Montgomery scored a 3-pointer and a layup to cut the Thunderbirds’ lead to nine points.

Freshman center Marly Anderson contributed to Eastern’s run by scoring a jump shot with 5:47 left. Junior guard Lexie Nelson also knocked down two free throw shots and Anderson made one of two free throws to cut Southern Utah’s lead to four. At the halftime break, the Eagles would only be down by one point due to another pair of free throws from Nelson.

In the second half, Southern Utah went on a 4-0 run to give themselves a five point lead. Hodgins scored a layup to cut the deficit to two points. It became a back and forth affair during the majority of the second half. EWU would finally take the lead due to a jump shot from senior guard Aubrey Ashenfelter with five minutes left.

The Thunderbirds attacked again with a 5-0 run to earn their lead back. As the clock ticked on, the Eagles would have a chance to win the game with a jump shot. With only a few seconds left, Hodgins passed the ball to Hughes in an out-of-bounds play, and Hughes passed the ball right back to Hodgins. Hodgins missed the jump shot as the clock ran out, giving the Eagles their ninth loss of the season.

Hughes scored 16 points for the game, Nelson contributed with 13 points. Hodgins had 12 points, while Montgomery scored a season high 11 points along with three steals.

The Eagles’ next road game will be against North Dakota on Jan. 30.