Women’s basketball gets their fourth win of the season

Lexie Nelson scores a career high 27 points

By Elohino Theodore
Staff Writer
[email protected]

The Eagles played Boise State on Dec. 20 at Reese court where they beat the Broncos, 81-66 and improved their record to 4-5.

EWU got an early seven point lead in the beginning of the first half, but was stopped by Boise State’s center Miquelle Askew who finally put her team up on the score board. Senior center Laura Hughes answered by scoring and returning the Eagles back to their seven point lead.

Boise State later fought back with a 6-0 run to cut the EWU lead to one. At the 11:32 mark in the first half, the Broncos took their first lead of the game. At the 9:54 mark, Boise State increased their lead to four, making it 21-17.

EWU junior guard Lexie Nelson tied the score by scoring six points straight. With a little over six minutes remaining in the first half, Nelson also scored a layup to give EWU a two point advantage. With a little over three minutes remaining, the Eagles would go up by seven points to make the score 36-29.

Boise State cut the deficit to only two points; however, EWU’s freshman guard Bethany Montgomery stole the ball to create a fast break and scored a layup to put Eastern up by four heading into halftime.

In the beginning of the second half, Boise State cut EWU’s deficit to two, Nelson then gave EWU a six point lead. Boise State would continue to fight back to stay in the game. However, the Eagles would open up a 15 point lead for the next 10 minutes.

EWU would also have its largest lead of the game, 78-61 with 3:48 remaining in the game. Eastern would continue to lead for the rest of the game for a victory.

The Eagles shot 53.2 percent for the game and also out-rebounded Boise State 36-27. Nelson had a career high in points, scoring 27. Sophomore guard Hayley Hodgins chipped in with 14 points.

Senior guard Aubrey Ashenfelter had 12 points, while Hughes finished with 10 points and a season high of eight rebounds.

Eastern’s next game will be on Dec. 29 against Portland State at 2 p.m.