Year in review 2012-2013

2012-2013year_in_review

2012-2013year_in_revieweasternerFlag

Issue30Vol64_03_nocaption Issue30Vol64_06
Musicians bring ‘The Heist’ to Eastern

Published June 5, 2013

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis came to Eastern May 30 to perform a concert, which was sponsored by Eagle Entertainment and the ASEWU. It was attended by over 3,500 students. The show was opened by the band Eclectic Approach and disc jockey Ricky Frezko. According to Berto Cerrillo, the Macklemore and Lewis concert, which was open only to students, was one of the biggest events he has coordinated. Eastern was the final stop on Macklemore’s spring college tour.

Harrell fills in as president

Published Dec. 5, 2012

ASEWU President Kaleb Hoffer resigned from his position on Nov. 28, according to a press release by the ASEWU.

Hoffer had been on suspension after being arrested following an altercation with his girlfriend, according to Cheney Police Chief John Hensley.

Hoffer was replaced by former vice president Becca Harrell, and Harrell’s position was filled by previous student services representative Justin Filla, as part of a temporary succession plan that is enacted when a senior executive member of the ASEWU is unable to fulfill his or her duties, according to Stacey Reece, director of student rights and responsibilities.

Hoffer said, “It became evident through the vote taken on Nov. 27 that my continued presence with this great team would be a distraction.”

As of press time, Hoffer’s court case is scheduled for June 24, according to the Washington Courts website.

Issue30Vol64_09 Issue30Vol64_11
Campus still marijuana-free

Published Nov. 28, 2012

Even with the passing of I-502, marijuana will still be illegal on the EWU campus, according to Associate to the President Laurie Flinn Connelly. The new state law does not alter the federal law that classifies marijuana as an illicit drug. Those caught in possession of the drug on campus are subject to arrest and citations, according to Detective E. Quincy Burns.

Quarters questioned

Published May 22, 2013

The EWU Board of Trustees decided to postpone the decision concerning whether or not a switch from a quarter-based system to a semester-based system would be best for the university. Becca Harrell, ASEWU president, said that ASEWU was not comfortable representing the student body’s opinion at that time. Discussion on the topic will resume at the end of October 2013.

Issue30Vol64_14_nocaption Issue30Vol64_17_nocaption
Eagles register another successful year

Published Jan. 16, 2013

EWU was down 35-0 Dec. 15 at halftime of the Football Championship Subdivision semifinal game against the Sam Houston State Bearkats. Though the Eagles seemed to be down for the count, they rallied and came back into the second half scoring 28 unanswered points. Ultimately, they lost the game to Sam Houston State 45-42. “That scoreboard, 45-42, that’s my motivation. I’m going to hold that picture up in my locker, and I’m going to see that scoreboard 45-42, and I’m going to remember how close we were,” said redshirt freshman quarterback Vernon Adams.

Potential tuition increase 10 percent in next two years, even more for international students

Published May 15, 2013

Washington state universities and colleges are objecting to budget proposals put forward by the state legislature that may cause a tuition increase of up to 10 percent in the next two years. There is also a potential for tuition to increase by 20 percent for international students through a bill proposed by Sen. Rodney Tom.

number-07_opt Issue30Vol64_20_nocaption
Bruce awaits trial

September 26, 2012

Former EWU player Dalis Bruce was arraigned on charges of rape in the second degree on Sept. 10. Bruce was arrested on Aug. 19, just three days after arriving in Cheney, according to court records. There was a secondary charge of residential burglary for unlawfully entering the victim’s room, according to court records. Bruce was dismissed from the EWU football team on Aug. 21, according to an EWU press release. On Feb. 20, Bruce pled guilty and was sentenced for assault in the second degree, according to court records. He was sentenced to nine months in the Spokane County Jail.

The ultimate 85 hours

Published April 3, 2013

The ultimate team broke the World Flying Disc Federation World Record for the most continuous hours in an ultimate marathon with 85 hours and one minute. The match began on March 22 at 9:59 a.m., and finished on March 23 at 11 p.m. The team suffered a dislocated shoulder, a dislocated knee, a broken toe and blisters, sprains and strains.

Issue30Vol64_22_nocaption Issue30Vol64_25
McDonald seeks new start following dismisal as Bruin

Published April 3, 2013

EWU football welcomes new safety Tevin McDonald after his dismissal from the UCLA football program for violating team policies. According to coach Beau Baldwin, if he had not been impressed with how McDonald has learned from his mistakes, he would not have pursued the safety.

Eagle women cap off season with playoff run

Published April 3, 2013

EWU women’s basketball finished its 2012-2013 season with two overtime losses, one to Northern Colorado in the Big Sky conference tournament and another to the University of Washington. The Eagles placed third in the Big Sky Conference with a 14-6 record.