Search Easterner Online
Archive: 2012-Current

ASEWU Academic Affairs 2013 Candidates

academicAffairstBtn

Academic_Affairs

[soundcloud url=”http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/90416306″ params=”” width=” 100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

Cassie_Bratton

Cassie_Bratton

Name: Cassie Bratton

Position: Academic Affairs

What do you want to accomplish?

“I really want to make sure that the students have appropriate resources and opportunities to make sure they excel both inside and outside the classroom, academically.”

Why did you decide to run?

“I really wanted to be more involved, and academics is one of my main passions. I want to be a future educator. I realized that the reason that all the students are here is for academics, too, so I think that would be the best decision for me.”

What do you want to change?

“I really want to keep the Library Commons program going. It’s only about halfway done right now, I hear, so I want to keep the second half rolling, and I really want to push for extended library hours. I think that would really benefit a lot of the student body, trying to get it 24 hours a day, 5 days a week.”

rule_v2

Amy_Nunez

Amy_Nunez

Name: Amy Núñez

Position: Academic Affairs

What do you want to accomplish?

“One of the definite things I want to push is the increase in library hours. I feel like we’re definitely cut short, and we pay tuition to have access to that so that’s definitely something I want to push next year. Another thing to do would be to enhance academic resources. I know we have the Writer’s Center and the Math Lab, but I feel not all students take advantage of those, so just finding ways for those [to be] more effective. My other goal would be to create more spaces and different environments for students to study in because not everyone can study in the library or the PUB, so just being able to offer different environments for students to study in.”

Why did you decide to run?

“As an elementary education major, education and academics is something that is really important to me, and it’s something that I’m passionate about. My ultimate goal is for someday to be superintendent of a school, and I felt like this would be the perfect opportunity to practice that. I just want students to know that I genuinely care about their academics, and, as someone who has parents that didn’t have access to education and who value education so much, I feel like students also need that equal opportunity and have access and the resources that will help them be successful.

What do you want to change?

“One thing I want to change is embracing diversity among the council. I feel like a lot of times it’s overlooked. As the first Latina to run since I’ve been here at Eastern, I feel that would make a huge difference in the dynamics of the ASEWU. ”

rule_v2

Click here to see the Athletic Affairs and University Advancement race.

Click here to go to ASEWU voting page

The Easterner does not endorse any specific candidate for any position in the ASEWU. Candidates are presented alphabetically by position. Candidate statements have been edited in accordance with the Associated Press Stylebook to reflect the requirements of content in The Easterner. Names and positions for diversity outreach candidates Shanakia K. Porter and Doran J.D. Williams and student health and safety services candidate Muzit Kiflai provided by ASEWU Public Relations Specialist Frank McNeilly.