Shorter, faster graduation application to make debut

The undergraduate graduating class of June 2013 will be the first to utilize a new, streamlined application system, according to Associate Registrar Debbie Fockler in Records and Registration.

The current process involves seniors writing all of their upper-division courses, credits and grades onto the application form. Mistakes might include writing down classes that do not qualify for graduation, leaving out classes that do qualify or recording an incorrect GPA or number of credits.

The new system, however, uses a SOAR audit to automatically track credits and validate graduation eligibility, so it only requires students to go through a brief online registration process. During this process, the student provides identification, verifies diploma accuracy and chooses a payment option. In the new system, there will be no class credits to figure out and no long form to complete. “It will be a period of transition,” said Fockler. “It’ll streamline the paperwork for students.”

Students can run their own  SOAR audit to see exactly where they stand by signing into EagleNet, clicking “Student,” then “Student Records” and finally, “SOAR Degree Audit” near the bottom of the page. Fockler advises to always choose “New Audit.”

“[Through SOAR] students can track more closely how their classes  are falling into place,” said Jill Wagner, academic advisor in the College of Arts, Letters and Education. “They can see how they’re really moving  forward instead of staying stagnant or not moving forward in their major.” Advisers of transfer students could use SOAR to validate their transfer  classes, according to Wagner.

Some departments, such as the education and business departments, require additional paperwork as part of the graduation registration process. This paperwork should be taken care of with the relevant department, according to Julie Harner, Records and  Registration SOAR administrator.

If a student is declared for the wrong major in SOAR, this will show up during the application process. In this  situation, the student needs to submit a new major declaration form to declare the correct major. “The graduation application can’t continue until  this step is completed,” said Fockler.

The graduation fee is assessed per degree, not per major, according to Fockler. For example, if a student is  graduating with a B.S. in chemistry and a B.S. in political science, only one graduation fee will be charged because the student is only earning one type of degree—a B.S. If a student is earning a B.A. in journalism and a B.S. in education, two graduation fees will be charged because two different degrees are being granted—a B.A. and a B.S.

Multiple degrees require multiple applications. Students must fill out a separate graduation application for each degree they will earn.