Library hosts annual cake contest

Photo by Nicole Ruse

The “Lemonade Serenade of The Thing in the Garden” cupcakes on display at the Books2Eat contest.

By Griffin Stiles, Contributing Writer

In an unlikely blend of literary appreciation, unorthodox visual design and culinary skill, the University library once again found itself hosting the annual Books2Eat contest.

For the last 11 years, the library has made it a tradition to put on a competition involving book-themed, decorative cakes. Students, faculty and even members from the community put their baking skills and creativity to the test, pitting a lettuce-topped hobbit hole against a chocolate bear face with unsettling eyes.

“The event is really open to anyone who wants a part in it,” said Amy Lakowski, the event’s coordinator. “Students, staff. I actually think the majority of entrants this year were from the community.”

The event isn’t just for contest, though. There is an icing on this cake.

“The event is great because it encourages reading at a young age,” said Lakowski.

Indeed, many of the entrants seemed to be of a younger generation. There was an overwhelming majority of cakes based on children’s and young adult’s books on display.

A “Goodnight Moon” cake sat quietly across from a literal “Life of Pi.” Other entries included cakes based on “The Hunger Games,” ironically, “The Princess and the Pea,” “Put me in a Zoo,” and “The Fault in our Stars” and several others.

Patricia Kelley, the former dean of libraries and one of the founders of the event, said it was a great way to involve the outside community with the university.

“I think it’s a really great event,” said Kelley. “It gets people from all over involved. Community, kids, everyone. This year, I think we have five entries from kids around the community.”

Kelley said the event reminded people of the roots of their culture: “It lets people remember that even if they’ve seen the movie, the story was once something written.”

The event has become a steadfast tradition, and not just for the library.

Some of the contestants have made a point of submitting a cake every year.

Kady Cullen, one of the younger entrants, has been entering cakes for six years.

“It’s really fun for my whole family,” said Cullen. “My little brother actually has his first cake entered this year.”

On the event’s appeal, Cullen said, “I love looking at all the entries. I like to see how everyone did theirs differently. And I love eating them, of course.” Cullen did comment that there were usually more fondant cakes. “Definitely fewer fondant cakes this year,” she said.

The event is certainly not lacking in support and looks to be going nowhere.

Next May, all will be welcome again to peruse and partake in the creative cakery or even submit an entry of their own. Until then, enthusiasts of literary-themed pastries will simply have to bide their time for another year.