EWU World Cup tradition continues

Photo by Anna Mills

Various students at Eastern Washington University participated in the EWU World Cup soccer tournament on May 15.

By Sam Deal, Sports Editor

For a fourth consecutive year, EWU intramurals hosted a world-cup-style soccer tournament on May 15.

The tournament allows students to formulate teams and select a country to represent. While many students select teams based on their home countries or heritages, others simply choose a country at random.

Former ASEWU President Oscar Ocana pitched the idea for the event to Campus Recreation four years ago to coincide with EWU’s diversity week. The concept was simple: Give students a reason to come together and the opportunity to represent countries that are important to them.

The tournament has been a success starting with 11 teams in 2012, 16 in 2013, 13 in 2014 and 10 in 2015, with over 90 competitors. It is a co-ed event that requires at least two females per team to be on the field at all times.

Like previous years, participants received a free T-shirt.

This year, the Netherlands captured the tournament championship by defeating Columbia, 5-1. Africa United and Djibouti each took a share of third place, according to Mike Campitelli, director for Campus Recreation.