Women’s basketball falls to Portland State

Lexie Nelson scores a career high of 29 points

Elohino Theodore
Staff Writer
[email protected]

EWU went up against the Portland State Vikings on Dec. 29 at Reese Court losing to the Vikings 86-74.

From out of the gates, Portland had an early seven point lead in the beginning of the first half. EWU’s junior guard Lexie Nelson scored 11 points to give the Eagles a lead and ending Portland State’s run. Portland answered back with a 10-2 run to give them a 31-24 lead with 4:09 left in the first half.

Nelson would give the Eagles a boost again, by scoring two 3-pointers and a jump shot, to bring the Eagles within a single point at halftime. Nelson ended up scoring 20 points, while the rest of the Eastern team only shot 36.7 percent in the first half.

The intensity of the game rose as both teams competed harder. The first seven minutes of the second half consisted of six ties and eight lead changes.

With 12:38 left in the second half, EWU freshman guard Jade Redmon scored a jump shot to tie the score, 49-49. The Vikings responded with a 12-2 run that went on for four minutes. EWU senior guard Aubrey Ashenfelter and sophomore guard Hayley Hodgins each scored to cut Portland’s lead to six with a little over seven minutes remaining in the second half.

Portland would later increase their lead to eight points. Nelson would however continue her scoring run by making a jump shot to keep the Eagles within striking distance with 5:35 left in the game. But it would not be enough as Portland would go on to outscore Eastern for the rest of the second half.

Eastern Washington shot 41.5 percent for the game and got out-rebounded by Portland State 44-33. The Vikings also outscored the Eagles in the paint 48-30.

Nelson had a career high of 29 points and five 3-pointers for the game. Senior center Laura Hughes scored 16 points and chipped in five rebounds. Ashenfelter had nine points and three blocks, while Hodgins had a career high of nine rebounds.

Eastern Washington will play Weber State next on Jan. 2 at Reese Court.