Eastern Washington victorious over University of Idaho

Eastern Washington victorious over University of  Idaho

Ashenfelter scores the game winning basket

By Elohino Theodore
Staff Writer
[email protected]

Eastern Washington women’s basketball earned their second victory of the season on Nov. 30 over University of Idaho, 85-84.

In the beginning of the game, EWU went on a 15-4 run for the first five minutes of the game to get a nine point lead. Eastern had their largest lead of the game at the 4:46 mark of the first half, making the score 42-25.

Idaho then answered back to cut the EWU lead to nine at the 1:05 mark. Idaho’s Alyssa Charlston later on made two free throws to keep the Vandals in the game before halftime.

In the beginning of the second half, Idaho went on a 13-0 run to go on a four point lead in the first five minutes. EWU senior center Laura Hughes put an end to the Idaho run with a layup, and senior guard Aubrey Ashenfelter then made a 3-point basket to tie the game at 59-59.

The entire course of the second half was a close game that had multiple lead changes. With 3:56 remaining in the second half, Idaho’s senior guard Addie Schivo scored a 3-point play to give her team a six point lead. However, Ashenfelter would answer back with a 3- point play of her own followed by a free throw from Hughes would cut the Idaho lead to two.

Idaho increased their lead by four to answer back Eastern’s attack, but sophomore guard Hayley Hodgins would score a 3-point basket bring EWU to within one point, 84-83 with 1:50 left in the game.

Ashenfelter became the heroine of the game by scoring a jumper in the last two seconds of the game for an Eagle win.. EWU shot 52 percent for the game and Ashenfelter finished with 20 points to tie her career high. Hughes finished with 17 points, while Junior guard Lexie Nelson finished with 16 points. Hodgins had 14 points and five rebounds. The Eagles will compete against Northwest University on Dec. 17.