Eagles lose to SMU by five points

Laura Hughes and Hayley Hodgins each score 19 points

By Elohino Theodore, Sports Writer

Multiple lead changes and scoring runs occurred on Reese court during the Nov. 16 game between the Eagles and the Mustangs.

The EWU women’s basketball team fell to Southern Methodist University 75-70. EWU scored 11 3-pointers during the game, three short of the school record. Sophomore guard Hayley Hodgins had five 3-pointers in the game, leading the team. Junior guard Kylie Huerta had two 3-pointers in the game, the rest of the Eagles chipped in with the rest of the 3-pointers.

Senior Laura Hughes shot 8-of-10 from the field with 5 rebounds. Huerta had 10 points, along with six assists. Senior guard Aubrey Ashenfelter also had six assists along with six points and five rebounds.

At the beginning of the game EWU had its first lead, 8-6, SMU later on answered back to gain a three point lead of 13-10. Hodgins tied the score with a 3-pointer at the 13:32 mark, this led to an Eastern 11-2 run for five minutes. After the run the score was 24-15 with 8:15 left in the first half.

SMU fought back with a run and tied the score at 29 at the 1:12 mark. SMU’s Krystal Johnson made a jump shot to put the opponent up by two points. After that, Hodgins responded by making a 3-pointer at the buzzer to end the first half. This gave the Eagles a one point lead at halftime.

At the start of the second half, Hughes and junior guard Lexie Nelson scored to build EWU’s lead by five points. SMU then answered back to tie the score, Nelson later scored to help the Eagles gain an advantage. However, SMU converted on a free throw and a jump shot to lead 46-45.

The opponents later on built their lead to 7 at the 11:17 mark in the second half. SMU had their largest lead in the game at 60-52 with eight minutes left. Later on, EWU cut down the lead within two points at the 3:51 mark. SMU then fought back to go back up to five, with 1:41 left, Hughes scored a layup to keep EWU in the game.

With 18 seconds remaining in the game SMU made 1-of-2 free throws. On the next possession, the Eagles were forced to foul after Hodgins missed a 3-pointer. Again, SMU made one out of two free throws.

After EWU failed to score on the next possession, SMU gained a rebound defensively, which turned into two free throws on the other end of the court. This put them up by seven points, SMU then later managed to pull away with five seconds left in the second half. EWU is now currently 0-2 for the season, while SMU improve to 3-0.