Board determines candidate guilty

By Linsey Garrison, Staff Writer

A hearing was held on May 2 to review an election grievance that was filed by candidate Caleb Morgan against his opponent Francisco Navarro for allegedly speaking to a student organization about his campaign without properly notifying the ASEWU.

The election board determined that Navarro was responsible for his actions and had violated the bylaw.

Morgan said in his statement that on April 25 he was notified by Ayesha Malik, president of the Compassionate Interfaith Society, that Navarro may have broken a bylaw by speaking to the club at an open meeting that day without properly informing the ASEWU director of elections.

ASEWU bylaw section 206, section 7 indicates that any school club or organization that allows one candidate to speak with its members or pass out campaign materials must also allow equal opportunity to other candidates who are also running for the same office.

Malik’s statement was read aloud, in which she said that both Navarro and presidential candidate D.J. Jigre attended the meeting and talked about the importance of interfaith action at EWU, and how they would like to have the group’s vote. She indicated that they are also now members of the Compassionate Interfaith Society.

Malik told Navarro and Jigre that because she let them speak she was also going to allow other candidates to speak to the club as well.

Morgan said that the Compassionate Interfaith Society invited him to speak after Navarro had spoken to the group.

“Even though I was invited after the fact, it’s still not the same as being there and hearing what your opponent has to say,” said Morgan.

“It’s just very important in, my opinion, that bylaws … are followed. I think this is a very clear-cut bylaw. … There was no 48 hours notice given. I think this needs to be addressed because this is a clear violation of that bylaw,” said Morgan.

Navarro argued that Compassionate Interfaith Society is not currently an ASEWU recognized club due to an issue with registration and club requirements. Navarro said he decided to visit the group as a former member and to promote an activity for another club, and that during this visit he was asked about his campaign which prompted him to explain his platform as well.

“I just wanted to apologize, there is a very thin line to walk when you meet with a group of students. … I surely have campaigned or talked to students about my platform … but the issue is they are not recognized and that’s the statement I was trying to make,” said Navarro.

The election board stated that after some research they had decided Compassionate Interfaith Society was still considered a club and therefore Navarro had violated the bylaw.

Navarro indicated at the end of the hearing that he would seek to appeal to the election board’s decision.

A public letter was posted outside the ASEWU office on May 3 that stated Navarro was responsible for his actions and that the election board decided that the appropriate sanction was a verbal publicized warning.