Search Easterner Online
Archive: 2012-Current

Police Beat: December 5, 2012

news

Nov. 27
7:30 p.m.
Agency assist
EWU police assisted the Cheney Police Department with a report of an unsecured residence. Neighbors reported that the front door of a residence was open and that they knew no one was home. Officers checked the residence and noted that it didn’t look like a break in, and then locked the door.

7:53 a.m.
Suspicious circumstances
A suspicious looking package was reported in lot 3. A passerby noticed a backpack wedged under the driver’s side wheel of a car. Upon further inspection it was found that the backpack contained fecal matter. There was also a box of kittens being kept in the backseat of the car. Officers contacted SCRAPS, but since the kittens were not in immediate danger, they were left in the car.

11:57 a.m.
Welfare check
A concerned parent called the Red Barn out of concern for his son. When contacted, the student told officers he just needed some space from his father.

3:22 p.m.
Agency assist
EWU police assisted Cheney officers with two motorcyclists. The drivers were stopped and issued a citation for reckless driving.

Nov. 28
11:48 a.m.
Hit and run
A faculty member reported that the back end of their car had been run into in lot 5.  The other driver did leave a note.

9:41 p.m.
Theft
A female student in Pearce Hall reported that her phone had been stolen from a lounge area while she was helping set up Christmas decorations. She then found the phone an hour later in her car.

Nov. 29
10 a.m.
Fourth degree assault
A student employee reported that she had been assaulted two days earlier while refereeing a soccer match. A male student who was playing was upset by a call she made and grabbed her arms from behind.

Nov. 30
2:30 p.m.
Theft
A student accidentally left their backpack containing a Macbook Pro in the women’s bathroom in JFK library. They returned later and the backpack was gone. Later, a friend of the student reported that they had found the backpack and held on to it to keep it safe.

Dec. 1
Assault
Two girls on the sixth floor of Dressler Hall were reported for a fight that got physical. No injuries were reported and no arrests were made. Officers told the girls to stay away from each other in the future.

Attempted theft
Parking enforcement reported that a meter near lot 4 had the ground around it disturbed, indicating someone had tried to steal it. There was no direct damage to the meter.

10 a.m.
Marijuana report
A student walking through the PUB found a bag of marijuana lying on the ground. They called and waited for the police to come inspect the bag, which was found to contain 7.5 grams, or about $90 worth, of marijuana.

3:45 p.m.
Alcohol violation
Officers were called to the football game after it was reported that underage girls were drinking in the women’s locker room. One student declined a blood alcohol test and was arrested for minor in possession.

Disorderly conduct
During halftime and after the football game several overzealous EWU fans were reported for picking fights with students from the opposing side. Reports were filed for disorderly conduct but no arrests were made.

9:20 p.m.
Harassment
A Streeter Hall resident visiting the ninth floor of Pearce Hall reported that they had been harassed during what allegedly started out as a prank. The student’s “Magic” playing cards were torn in half, and several students began throwing paper towels and shampoo at each other. No arrests were made.

Dec. 2
1:37 a.m.
Assault
A fight occurred between two sisters on the ninth floor of Dressler Hall. One of the girls was not a student and was cited for furnishing alcohol to minors. Both sisters were charged with domestic violence fourth degree assault.

9 a.m.
Domestic violence
EWU police assisted Cheney officers with a domestic violence reported on First Street. The altercation turned out to be verbal only and no arrests were made.

Tip of the week:
Tread lightly with the new marijuana laws, and read them very carefully. Marijuana still won’t be allowed on campus, and if you see someone smoking it in public, contact police.