Women lose sixth straight on Reese Court

Mckenzie Ford

Senior forward Alissa Sealby watches a shot in the Eagles’ 61-47 loss to Montana State on Thursday. Sealby shot 3-13 from the field.

By Drew Lawson, Reporter

The EWU women’s basketball game attempted 26 shots from the field in the second half of Thursday night’s game. Only four went in, and the Eagles lost their sixth straight game on Reese Court to Montana State 61-47.

“Shooting 15 percent in a half, it’s hard to win basketball games,” EWU head coach Wendy Schuller said. “I thought we got a lot of good shots … overall I think we missed a lot of shots we’re very capable of making.”

EWU shot a respectable 40.4 percent from the field in the first half and played tight defense, forcing eight MSU turnovers. Second half offensive struggles allowed MSU to go on a 20-2 run  in the third and fourth quarter, as the Eagles split the season series against the Bobcats..

Senior Kapri Morrow led EWU with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Her 3-pointer in the second quarter moved her into 10th place on the all-time EWU scoring list. It wasn’t Morrow’s most efficient game, as the veteran guard shot just 5-15 from the field.

Morrow wasn’t the only EWU leader to struggle from the field. Senior forward Alissa Sealby shot 3-13, freshman guard Jessica McDowell-White was 1-4 and freshman forward Grace Kirscher was 2-12. Freshman center Bella Cravens was the only Eagle who attempted over two shots to shoot better than 50 percent (3-5).

“We got a bunch of open shots … they just weren’t falling,” Kirscher said. “That  comes down to just practicing it. We’ll get back into it.”

Thursday’s loss was EWU’s sixth straight at home. Overall, the Eagles are just 1-7 at Reese Court this season, with the lone victory being over Division II opponent Eastern Oregon. The trend has left Schuller searching for answers.

“We’re comfortable on the road, so there’s no reason we shouldn’t be comfortable in our friendly confines of Reese Court,” Schuller said. “I don’t have the answer. These are the baskets we shoot on every day.”

EWU’s next game is on Saturday, Feb. 9 at 2:05 p.m. against Montana. Admission is free to students.