Kapri Morrow has big goals for women’s hoops

Bailey Monteith

Senior Violet Kapri Morrow looks to pass against Simon Fraser on Nov. 4. Morrow scored a team-high 27 points.

By Drew Lawson, Reporter

Violet Kapri Morrow has enjoyed a decorated basketball career. From being named an all-star in high school to being an All-Big Sky Third Team member lasts season, her list of accomplishments has steadily grown.

This year, her sights are set on the team’s ultimate objective.

“I’m expecting a Big Sky championship,” Morrow said. “That’s everybody’s goal, but we’re going to get it this year. It’s our turn.”

Morrow has scored 800 points through the first three years of her EWU career, leaving her 200 points shy of reaching 1,000. She would become the 18th Eagle to do so, according to the EWU Athletics website.

“I’m close [to 1,000], so that’s the goal,” Morrow said. “That’s the next step.”

Before EWU

Morrow, who is announced using her middle name of Kapri during EWU home games, grew up in Tacoma, Washington. She began playing basketball when she was eight years old, playing in a Metro Parks league until she was 13, and then competing for Jason Lee Middle School.

At Wilson High School, Morrow was the third player to score over 1,000 points in her career with 1,028. She also grabbed 711 rebounds during that timespan, and in her senior season was named first-team All-Area by the Tacoma News Tribune, in addition to the 3A All-State team.

Morrow decided to attend EWU after a friend and former teammate saw her play in a high school all-star game and recruited her to Cheney.

“I wasn’t getting recruited by really anybody except for junior colleges,” Morrow said. “I played in the 4A/3A Senior All-Star Game and I got recruited [by] one of my other teammates [after] they saw I had 30 points and 18 rebounds.”

Morrow received a call from EWU assistant coach Bryce Currie after her performance in that game. She had just finished a visit to a junior college when Currie reached out.

“He called me on the way back to my house,” Morrow said. “He said they wanted to bring me out for a visit, so I came out the next week. They offered me the last day I was here, and I committed three days later.”

Last year

Last season was Morrow’s most decorated as an EWU Eagle. She was named third-team All-Big Sky after averaging 14.7 points and 4.7 rebounds per game, ranking second on the team in both categories. She posted career highs in all major statistics for both single games and the whole season, including a career-best 28 points at North Dakota last January, and a program record of seven steals on Nov. 21, 2017 at the University of Oregon.

Taking charge

This year will be Morrow’s first season at EWU playing without the team’s all-time leading scorer Delaney Hodgins, who graduated last spring. Being a senior has made Morrow more aware of her importance to the team.

“I think my role is to be a leader,” Morrow said. “Lead us to a championship, that’s my goal. Just keep our eyes on the prize.”

EWU head coach Wendy Schuller echoed the importance of Morrow to the overall team efforts.

“Kapri has had a big role on this team since she was young,” Schuller said. “Now I expect her to bring a load of experience, knowledge, and she’s somebody that can rebound for us. She can score inside, she can shoot the three, she can put it on the floor. I think she’s got a really well-rounded game, but I also expect her to lead and be an example for our young players.”

Morrow’s senior season got off to a strong start in EWU’s 72-66 exhibition victory over Simon Fraser University on Nov. 4. Morrow scored 27 points and pulled down 12 rebounds, leading the Eagles in both categories. Morrow said this year’s team has already formed a strong bond.

“We are a goofy team,” Morrow said. “We just like to have fun and be around each other. In my past four years, this team has been the one that’s been the closest. Everybody wants to be around each other.”

What’s next

The team now turns their attention to the season opener against Gonzaga University on Nov. 11. Morrow said the team will need to work together to pull off a victory over the Zags.

“We just gotta lock in as a team [and] buy into the program,” Morrow said. “[Take] our defensive principles, offensive principles, and put it all together […] find the open person to get the best shot possible and defensively guard your man.”

The game against Gonzaga tips off at 2:05 p.m. at Reese Court. Admission is free to students who show ID, and tickets for the general public are available for purchase at goeags.com.