Senior guard Lexie Nelson leads team

By Fetlew Gebreziaber, Online Sports Editor

As the postseason approaches for the EWU women’s basketball team, they are preparing for a late season push to take their talents into the NCAA tournament of 64.

EWU’s senior guard Lexie Nelson is all about focus. She passes that along to her teammates to get them to the NCAA tournament, starting off with finishing the final games of the regular season at home.

“We definitely want to, you know play good and go into that tournament strong, feeling good. And the last two games, especially for myself, it’ll be the last two games that I’ll ever play on Reese Court. I just want to go out there, have fun, get a few wins and come tournament time, we’ll be ready to go,” said Nelson.

The Eagles finished third in the Big Sky conference after their victories against Idaho State University and Weber State University on March 5 and 6.

Senior forward Melissa Williams said Nelson is someone who shows her leadership through her action on and off the court.

“I think Lexie is just a really great example of how you can put as much time as you can into a sport, and it really pays off. You can tell, she just scored 1,000 points the other night. I’ve never seen someone get in the gym and work on her game so much. Everything that she’s earned this year and in the past years, she deserves so much. I’m just so, so proud of her,” said Williams.

In Nelson’s 28 career games as an Eagle, she averaged 14.3 points and shot 42.5 percent from the field and 36.3 percent from 3-point line, according to goeags.com

Nelson previously attended and played at the University of Montana, transferring to EWU after one season. She averaged just 3.4 points per game in 14 minutes per game as a freshman. She credits head coach Wendy Schuller and the program she built at EWU to transfer.

“[Schuller has] done a good job throughout the years and the team here was really welcoming and it just felt right when I came on my visit, so they gave me the opportunity to play, and I’m very thankful for it,” said Nelson.

Last season, the Eagles finished fourth in the conference with an early exit from the Big Sky Tournament after a loss to Idaho State in the second round.

Nelson has previous NCAA tournament experience gained during her first year at the University of Montana. The Grizzlies won the Big Sky tournament, which Nelson started in all three games, then advanced to the tourney of 64.

“Just everyday you have got to come and bring it,” said Nelson. “It’s not just being there, showing up is not enough. I mean if you really want to be successful, you’ve got to show up, give it your all, and be focused and even do extra. It’s all about the work you put in. The work you put in, is what you’ll get out of it.”

Nelson said her parents instilled characteristics of hard work in her at a young age and support her basketball career.

“They’ve always been there for me and supported me along the way,” said Nelson. “I mean, if I need a rebounder or a workout partner, my mom or dad was always there for me getting up at 6 a.m. workouts. They never missed a game since I’ve been playing. Definitely their support and them pushing me is the reason I am who I am.”

According to Nelson, she would like to keep playing after she finishes at Eastern.

“You know, get an agent, maybe go overseas and keep playing professionally,” said Nelson. “Whatever the best opportunity is for me, I’m hoping to take and continue to keep playing.”