Search Easterner Online
Archive: 2012-Current

EWU to host 2015 National Research Conference

news

Event to to draw between 2,000 and 3,000 students and faculty to campus

The 2015 National Conference on Undergraduate Research, an annual gathering of collaborative student-faculty research teams, will be held at EWU Apr. 16 to 18, 2015 now that EWU has won a competitive bid process.

Eastern, working hand in hand with Visit Spokane to plan the event, applied to host the 2015 research conference in competition with several other potential hosts. Extensive planning took place simply to complete the application process, because applications must include detailed plans on how rooms, food, displays, multimedia and all the other details of the conference will be handled.

Visit Spokane is a nonprofit corporation that, according to its website, “leads the Spokane tourism industry” by developing and implementing programs that will bring people and events to Spokane for tourism, specialized destination travel or business.

“Eastern Washington University provided an excellent proposal that highlighted the commitment of the campus faculty, staff and administrators to the culture and practice of undergraduate research, and the strong partnership between the university and Spokane business and civic communities,” said Executive Officer Elizabeth Ambos of the Council on Undergraduate Research in a press release statement.

“EWU provided detailed and thoughtful plans for conference logistics and infrastructure support to the NCUR oversight committee. On behalf of the Council of Undergraduate Research, allow me to express my pleasure at the prospect of working with EWU to prepare what I know will be an outstanding 2015 conference.”

“Eastern is thrilled to be able to host this outstanding research event,” said EWU President Dr. Rodolfo Arévalo. “The selection of Eastern as the host of this national conference is indicative of the tremendous progress the university has made in promoting research and the development of high-quality programs. This conference will also give our students a chance to shine on a national stage against their peers.”

The conference was launched in 1987 by the Council on Undergraduate Research, whose mission statement reads, “The mission of the Council on Undergraduate Research is to support and promote high-quality undergraduate student-faculty collaborative research and scholarship.”

A typical National Conference on Undergraduate Research schedule includes plenary speakers, special sessions, a graduate and professional school fair, faculty and administration open houses, excursions and a closing banquet. Recent conferences have been held at Weber State University in Utah in 2012, Ithaca College in New York in 2011 and University of Montana in 2010.

EWU’s Student Research and Creative Works Symposium has similar requirements and benefits.

“The opportunity to host this respected national event is evidence of the longstanding tradition at EWU to involve our students in research and scholarly pursuits,” said Rex Fuller, EWU provost and vice president for academic affairs. “Hosting NCUR is a tribute to EWU’s commitment to academic excellence.”