Community holds events over holidays

Community holds events over holidays

by Christina Jordan
Staff Reporter
[email protected]

Some students are not fortunate enough to afford the trip home over break and EWU closes during the winter, but there are events during break that are free to the public in the area.

Drive-Thru Nativity Scene

This event is held at Amazing Grace Fellowship on the evenings of Dec. 13, 14 and 15. It is set up all around the building in a square formation.

As people drive around the church, they will observe scenes that are taken from the Bible depicting the life of Jesus Christ.

These scenes are not just painted pictures though. The sets are full of props such as hay bales, real fires, actors and many live animals such as goats.

It will take around 20 minutes to get through the entire set up.

Airway Heights Winter Festival

This event will take place in Airway Heights on the day of Dec. 15.

There will be breakfast and pictures with Santa Claus available from 9-11 a.m. at the community center.

There will be a “Holiday Matinee Movie” showing put on by the Sunset Elementary Parent Teacher Organization at 1 p.m.

The movie this year will be “Arthur Christmas.”

Following this, at Sunset Park at 6 p.m. will be the Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony. There will be carriage rides and a bonfire at this event.

Fire Department City Tour

On Dec. 15, the members of the Cheney Fire Department will be cruising around the neighborhoods of Cheney.

“The firefighters hand out candy canes, there is music and a trailer with lights and sometimes a backhoe,” said Kim Best, the recreation supervisor at the Community Center.

There will be someone dressed up as Santa Claus as well.

Annual Tree Lighting

This event will take place on Dec. 17 at 5:30 p.m. at the Cheney Public Library.

According to Leslie Bridges, administrative clerk at the City of Cheney Community Center, this event has been going on for at least 17 years.

Best says that there are many things to do at this event for families.

“All the people gather around the tree, the KinderChoir will be singing a few Christmas songs, hot chocolate is provided by the youth commission, and the children can sit in Santa’s lap,” said Best.

Regina Ross, who works at the Cheney Public Library, has been to the event several times.

“After the tree lighting, a member of the police force will read a story, like [“How The Grinch Stole Christmas”], in the meeting room at the library,” said Ross. “It is a big plug for families.

The fire truck usually comes with Santa on it.”

The City of Cheney Parks and Recreation puts this event on. Ross estimated that there is usually around 150 people at the event every year.

Free Family Meal

On Dec. 31 from 5:30-6:30 p.m., there will be a free meal served at the Wren Pierson Community Center at 615 Fourth Street.

This meal is provided by Feed Cheney in conjunction with Women and Children’s Free Restaurant, Second Harvest, Let’s Move Cheney, EWU and a number of Cheney Churches.

There will also be free groceries given out at this event.

This event is powered by volunteers.