Chaves to review transfer eligibility

By Sam Deal, Sports Editor

EWU Athletic Director Bill Chaves has been appointed to an NCAA committee to review and research collegiate transfer rules.

Chaves was appointed to the NCAA Division I council in December of 2014 and has a sense of familiarity with this issue.

Former Eagle Vernon Adams Jr. sparked debate earlier this year when he transferred to University of Oregon to compete in his final year of eligibility.

“Those are the rules we play by right now, and it certainly put us in an interesting situation,” said Chaves back in February, concerning Adam’s transfer.

Chaves also questioned how many of the graduate transfers actually received diplomas in their graduate studies. He is now in a position to answer his own question.

Under its current rules, players who have already graduated but have one year of eligibility remaining can transfer to another program, enroll in graduate classes and compete immediately.

The committee will review extending the number of years a player has to complete his or her eligibility. This extension would mean graduate transfers could be forced to sit out their first year after switching programs. When players transfer under normal circumstances, they are required to sit out for one year.

“Student transfers are an important issue in higher education, and it is no different in athletics,” said co-chair Jere Morehead, president of the University of Georgia. “The group will be mindful of the integration of athletics and academics when creating recommendations for Division I transfer policy or legislation.”

The group consists of 13 members with representatives from 10 different Division I conferences as well as the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association and the National Association of Basketball Coaches.

Permission-to-contact rules, which determine how universities can contact players who are currently enrolled at another program, will also be reviewed by the committee.

“I look forward to working with this group so that we can continue to evolve all of the issues that surround transferring from a number of perspectives,” said Chaves. “There has been some very good work done by others that this group will be able to use moving forward.”