Health program takes new focus

By Jasmine Ari Kemp, News Editor

After all the poking and prodding, the interrogating and pain, a sexual-assault survivor needs all the support they can get from their friends, family and community.

EWU Health Wellness and Prevention Services has the conversation rolling with a local adaptation of the national Start by Believing campaign.

Start by Believing is part of End Violence Against Women International. The campaign’s focus is educating people about how to respond to sexual assault. Their website relates the ideas that the wrong reaction to a survivor confiding in their friends or family can propagate a harmful environment for healing and the continuance of sexual assaults in the community.

Health, Wellness and Prevention Services director Tricia Hughes said these kinds of conversations need to happen. The subject can be difficult to discuss, but that should not be an excuse not to talk about sexual assault, at all.

Since this particular program focuses on how to help a friend, Hughes said the community would be more receptive to talking about such sensitive issues.

Health, Wellness and Prevention Services provides presentations to any people or group entity on campus. Their two main goals for the presentation is to establish what anyone should say to a survivor and to provide resources that are not only available to students on campus but also out in the community.

According to Hughes, they have given presentations to 300 students and staff. About a third of which were faculty members.

EWU has a page set up on their website discussing what to do after a sexual assault but it only does this from the viewpoint of the victim.
Sexual assault education is not foreign to the Eastern campus. EWU’s annual police and fire report (mandated by the CLERY Act) states that “all undergraduate students are expected to participate in a program during [orientation] that addresses sexual communication and sexual assault awareness.”

While these courses are preventative training, the mission statement of Start By Believing states that education helps eliminate the shame felt by sexual assault survivors.