Students sound off on Percy Harvin trade to Jets

By Brandon Cline, Contributing Writer

Percy Harvin, known for being lethal on jet sweeps on the football field, was traded to the New York Jets from the Seattle Seahawks in a move that caused a stir amongst fans on campus.

The Seahawks gave up multiple draft picks to acquire Harvin from the Minnesota Vikings last season, as well as giving him a six-year $67 million contract according to NBC Sports’ Pro Football Talk.

“I was fairly distraught. I felt that Harvin was a fairly explosive player, and he added a big dynamic to the team,” said EWU freshman Tanner Bauman.

Freshman Isaiah Tanksley was also caught off guard. “I was surprised, a little disappointed. I thought they were going to get better assets in return,” he said.

Not all students initially felt the trade was bad for the Seahawks, though, and had faith that the front office was making the right calls.

“I did not really care because it is my belief that one man doesn’t make a team,” said EWU sophomore Forrest Vig. “I believe enough in Pete Carroll’s ability to coach that if he so chooses to trade a member of the team like Harvin, he has his own reasons to where they are viable.”

Details of altercations with teammates were soon being reported by multiple news outlets after the trade, causing speculation that the move had more to do with off-the-field problems.

According to a Seattle Times report, Harvin had a scuffle with then-Seahawk Golden Tate during the week of the Super Bowl, resulting in a black eye for Tate. Harvin also allegedly had an altercation with wide receiver Doug Baldwin during the preseason, giving Baldwin a cut on his chin. As of late, Harvin refused to enter the game late in the fourth quarter in a Week 6 loss against the Dallas Cowboys.

“In ways I can see why Pete Carroll would trade him, but at the same time most NFL players are fairly superficial and I feel like it is the coach’s job to wrangle him in and to build that camaraderie. So I feel like it is almost saying that Pete Carroll is not a good enough coach,” said Bauman.

Tanskley said he understood the move and recognized Harvin may have been negatively affecting team chemistry.

Vig was impressed that the Seahawks were able to put their ego aside and cut ties with a player as dynamic as Harvin over off-the-field issues.

“Now that its been a couple days and I’ve heard what’s been going on in the locker room, I do appreciate that Pete Carroll got rid of [Harvin],” said Vig. “I mean, punching one of your fellow players in the face right before the Super Bowl is not an appropriate thing to do, nor is arguing with your quarterback.”