Lindy’s Magazine names Harvey Preseason MVP

Harvey

Harvey

By Brandon Cline, Contributing Writer

Junior guard and 2013 first team basketball All-Big Sky selection Tyler Harvey is looking to build off of a strong sophomore campaign where he led the conference in scoring.

Harvey was voted as the Big Sky’s Preseason MVP by Lindy’s Magazine, which polls correspondents from each team in the conference.

Harvey, one of the co-captains on this year’s squad, said he wants to lead the Eagles to the regular season championship and eventually into the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship.

“It’s humbling to get that kind of recognition from different people around. But you know, I really try and not pay any attention to that stuff. My main focus at the end of the day is to win and get our team to March Madness; that’s the goal,” said Harvey.

Senior guard Parker Kelly, a fellow co-captain who came in as a freshman with Harvey in 2011, noticed that he could be special right away.

“I knew from day one, when I came in as a freshman with Tyler, that he had a very distinctive skillset. He has a knack for making very tough shots, and he makes them look like they are easy.”

“His game has definitely grown and has expanded it into different kinds of areas. Every great team needs a player like him: a guy that can go off for 30-35 points, because then the defense will focus on him, and it opens up other guys around him,” said Kelly.

A native of Torrance, California, Harvey goes home for four weeks in the summer, working with personal trainers while putting up shots in the gym as well.

“You have got to stay in the gym. There is really no off time in the summer.”

Even after a season where he averaged 21.8 points per game while shooting over 40 percent from both the field and beyond the 3-point line, Harvey is quick to point out where his game needs improvement.

“I want to work on my leadership, definitely. That has been my main focus this offseason, especially with all the new guys in. So definitely be more of a vocal leader out there, and definitely pick up our defense.”

Along with having Harvey pegged as the Big Sky Preseason MVP, Lindy’s Magazine also chose the Eagles to win the Big Sky, meaning they would host the Big Sky Conference Tournament.

“It would be nice to win it and host the tournament in Cheney, that would be like a dream. I know a lot of other conferences that host it at neutral sites, but to have that advantage definitely is an advantage if you can finish first,” said Harvey.