Eagles upset #25 Oregon State in 2013 season opener

By Galen Rock, Sports Editor

After close losses to the University of Washington and Washington State over the past two years, EWU went into Reser Stadium and upset Oregon State 49-46 during the opening weekend of college football.

EWU brought their offense from the opening snap, racking up a mind-boggling 625 total yards and 6 touchdowns, with 518 of those yards coming solely from EWU All-American quarterback Vernon Adams (411 yards passing, 4 touchdowns, 107 yards rushing, 2 touchdowns).

Oregon State was no bottom of the barrel Pac-12 team like the previous two, either. The Beavers came in boasting a Top 25 ranking and even higher expectations. Beavers quarterback Sean Mannion was almost as impressive as Adams. Mannion passed for over 400 yards and 3 touchdowns and completed nearly 40 passes. Beavers wide receiver Brandon Cooks was also very impressive, racking up 13 catches for 196 yards.

Adams and freshman wide receiver Cooper Cupp (5 catches, 119 yards, 2 touchdowns) were by far the stars of this game. On consecutive drives in the second quarter Adams found Cupp for two long touchdowns which led to a comfortable 29-17 halftime score for the Eagles.

Although, turnovers and penalties did not play a huge part in the game, injuries did play a role for Eastern. Adams and Cupp, as well as EWU defensive stand out Ronnie Hamlin all dealt with cramps at the beginning of the second half. All three returned later in the quarter. Adams, however, left the game multiple times throughout the second half due to the cramping.

Oregon State is likely to fall out of the Top 25 this week and is facing Hawaii at home. EWU is back on the red turf Sept. 7, as they welcome fellow FCS opponent Western Oregon for their home opener.