Sports App Delivers Live EWU Games to Your Phone, Computer

By Peter Sowards, Senior Reporter

The Big Sky Conference, provider of league-wide webcasts, has made enhancements that now allow live video and audio streaming of EWU football, volleyball and basketball on a smartphone. America One Sports, which broadcasts collegiate sporting events across the country, is the exclusive provider of smartphone and online streaming of Big Sky sports.

Simply access the goeags.com mobile website on their iPhone or Android device and search for the desired sporting event in the schedule section of the webpage. Click on “video” and the page will be directed to the Big Sky Conference’s website, bigskyconf.com, where the games will be shown.

Due to copyright restrictions with Root Sports, EWU’s football games against Montana and Montana State will not be available for live-stream.

According to EWU Sports Information Director David Cook, the process is fast, simple and free.

“It was really easy,” Cook said, referring to a trial run he performed last week. Cook was able to watch a live-stream of the EWU volleyball team’s home debut Sept. 17 on his smartphone without the aid of a Wi-Fi connection, relying solely on his carrier’s 3G cellular network.

With the growing popularity of EWU sporting events, the creation of an application that lets consumers watch sporting events live on their smartphones was a necessity.

“Especially since the national championship, we’ve just had more of a following than we’ve ever had before as evidenced by the crowds and the amount of tickets we’re selling and so it’s just natural that people are going to want to follow us when we’re on the road or follow us when they’re not at games,” Cook said. “Anymore, people just use these [smartphones].”

Live video and audio streaming of games is also available via computer. The requirements necessary for this include the installation of Adobe Flash and Octoshape, an add-in for Adobe Flash that provides better quality of streaming video and faster startup times.

Registration with an email address is required to watch the live streaming of sporting events, but that email does not have to be an EWU student or faculty account. Any active email address will suffice.

In addition to video streams for these sporting events, radio streams are available as well. The “Spokane Radio” and “Tunein Radio” applications located in your smartphone’s application store provide access to Spokane’s 700 ESPN radio, the carrier of EWU football and basketball. Both of these streams are web-accessible.

Helpful links:

Webcasts: www.bigskytv.org
Radio: www.700espn.com or www.tunein.com
Radio Mobile Phone App: Search for “Spokane Radio” or “Tunein Radio”
Mobile Phone Live Stats: ewustats.com
Internet Live Stats: ewulive.statb.us
Eastern Web Site: www.goeags.com
EWU Athletics Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/EWUAthletics
EWU Athletics Twitter Page: www.twitter.com/ewuathletics