Panhellenic sisters stick together

Sororities are proactive when it comes to safety on campus

By Daisy Garcia, Staff Writer

The four Panhellenic Sororities at Eastern, Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Xi Delta, Alpha Phi and Gamma Phi Beta, are implementing a new security procedure intended to revive the importance of the buddy system to ensure that their members stay safe while here on campus. This new security procedure will to be called the “I’ve Got Your Back Program.”

Given recent assaults on campus, the sororities have decided to be proactive when it comes to safety. The chapters are working together so each girl has a group of contacts she can turn to in case a dangerous situation arises. This “buddy system,” as EWU senior and Vice President of Policy and Procedure and Risk Management of Panhellenic Sororities Paisley Heckman called it, the sororities have constructed provides a safe haven for the girls in each sorority chapter.

The program is designed to connect the girls with a safety buddy from each chapter. These groups were assigned and given out with full contact information by Halloween when girls may need to take more safety precautions. According to Heckman, 197 new recruits have joined the sisterhood this quarter, meaning “there are 197 more girls to build strong lifelong connections with,” as well as help out. Once the program is fully launched, each girl will be given a list of people she can contact in an emergency from any of the four chapters. The “I’ve Got Your Back” program is working to solidify the bonds between the members of all the sorority chapters.

Since many sorority events are held together, the sisters and safety buddies will be in the same place at the same time if called upon. The buddy system offers the first line of support to be contacted should something happen. The sorority houses are all within four blocks of each other, allowing immediate responses to anyone who may need help.

The “I’ve Got Your Back” program offers that extra support group, that extra person to talk to. Not only does it encourage the girls to be there for one another, “it encourages the valuable skill of networking,” Heckman said. The sorority life emphasizes the need to make relationships that last a lifetime. With this new program, the connections between the chapters will hopefully be strengthened.

The Panhellenic Council recognized that in the process of launching this program that will hopefully help hundreds of sorority members. Heckman said she hopes the program will accomplish its twofold intention of “protecting the sorority members and really strengthening the sisterhood.” The prospective goal is to expand this program beyond the confines of the Panhellenic Sororities and reach the Fraternity Chapters of the campus as well.