Campus recreation climbs in options

By Shannon Bedell, Eagle Life Writer

Photo by Sam Sargeant Yasser Mohammad tests for a foot hold, as he scales the rock climbing wall at the URC.
Photo by Sam Sargeant
Yasser Mohammad tests for a foot hold, as he scales the rock climbing wall at the URC.

EWU campus boasts two recreational facilities.

The URC has around 2,000 students visiting daily, but many students do not know the URC is not their only option for recreational activities on campus. Students also have access to the Phase.

Students pay a $65 activity fee each quarter that goes toward paying for the URC facility. The URC has three levels and over 117,000 square feet of activity space. It offers a rock wall, fitness center and ice rink. EWU is the only university in Washington state with an ice rink and is one of few nationwide.

The ice rink offers open hockey, open skate and open figure skating times throughout the week. EWU hockey games are held at the rink and it is periodically rented to WSU, Gonzaga and University of Idaho. On Monday nights, students are also invited to join in a game of broomball. Broomball is a game of hockey on regular shoes instead of skates.

James Gwinn, manager of the URC, said, “Broomball gives students a chance to get on the ice without having to skate. We provide them with a helmet and stick, and it’s a lot of fun.”

The URC gym also offers personal training services. They currently have nine personal trainers on staff who offer individual and small group sessions.

The Sports and Recreation Facilities, known as the Phase, offers an aquatic center, racquetball courts and a strength and conditioning center. While the Phase Building was the original fitness facility on campus, the majority of its users are in a club, intercollegiate sport or academic fitness class.

Kerry Pease, Assistant Director of EWU Sports and Recreation Center, said that there seems to be a rumor that the Phase is only for athletes. There are times when certain facilities are booked for different clubs and sports but any time the gyms are not booked they are open to students and even community members.

The pool in the Phase Building has lap and open swim times available free of charge to students. Some of the specialized classes they offer through the pool are kayaking and scuba diving.

The Phase also offers several racquetball courts and outdoor tennis courts. Students can check out racquetball, tennis, volleyball and basketball equipment from the Phase II equipment room.

For information on classes and facility availability, visit the URC and Sports and Recreation Center pages on the EWU website.