Former Eagles reach for NFL

Former+Eagles+reach+for+NFL+
Former Eagles receiver Greg Herd signed a free-agent contract with the Dallas Cowboys after going undrafted.  Photos by Aaron Malmoe
Former Eagles receiver Greg Herd signed a free-agent contract with the Dallas Cowboys after going undrafted in the 2013 NFL Draft.
Photos by Aaron Malmoe

By Peter Sowards

SENIOR REPORTER

[email protected]

Greg Herd spent the morning of April 28 at the YMCA in the Spokane Valley teaching kids about the importance of living healthy lives for his senior capstone class.

That afternoon, he returned to Cheney and watched from the sidelines as his former teammates competed in the annual Red-White spring game at Roos Field.

By day’s end, his lifelong dream had come true — he had made it to the NFL.

During the scrimmage, Herd’s cell phone was buzzing, literally and figuratively. He received free-agent offers from the Oakland Raiders, Baltimore Ravens and the Dallas Cowboys. The former Eagles wide receiver viewed Dallas as the best fit and agreed to a free-agent contract. “I feel like that’s a good place where I could fit in and earn a job on the active roster,” Herd said.

A Tacoma, Wash., native, Herd reunites with former Eagles safety Matt Johnson, a 2012 fourth-round selection of “America’s Team.” “He’s like one of the first ones that I talked to,” Herd said. “I just texted him, ‘Cowboys Nation,’ … and we’ve been talking every day since then.”

Undrafted free agents have a history of tremendous success with the Cowboys. Quarterback Tony Romo went undrafted out of Eastern Illinois in 2003 and recently earned himself a contract worth $55 million, guaranteed. Wide receiver Miles Austin, a graduate of Monmouth University, earned a roster spot in 2006 by playing special teams but has since solidified himself as one of the better receivers in the league.

Herd leaves for Dallas on May 9 with the rookie minicamp running May 10 to 12.

Kyle Padron, a Texas native, will don the silver and black after signing with the Oakland Raiders.

Former quarterback Kyle Padron will also join a former Eagles great — running back Taiwan Jones, a 2011 fourth-round pick by the Oakland Raiders. Like Herd, Padron drew interest from the Ravens but saw a better fit with the Raiders. “They know I can play,” Padron said. “They know I throw the ball, but they just want to see me go out there and compete with [2013 fourth-round pick] Tyler [Wilson] and not take a backseat to him just because he was a draft pick.

A dauntless attitude led Padron to leave school early and declare his eligibility after his junior season. “I told them that I was confident,” he said. “And that’s one of the reasons I came out this year is because I didn’t see a guy out there that was better than me, in my opinion.”

Padron joins Wilson, Matt Flynn and Terrelle Pryor as the only quarterbacks on the roster. With only three combined NFL starts between the four signal callers, Padron sees the potential for an eventful battle. “I’m looking forward to getting out there and throwing the ball with those guys and trying to pick up as much as I can and also push them and make us all better,” he said.

A high-level player at two different programs, much advice has come Padron’s way in recent weeks from players who have been in his shoes. “They’re just telling me to keep doing what I’ve been doing: trust my talent, trust my ability and that I’m there for a reason,” he said. “There’s no flukes, and you just go out there and have fun. That’s the biggest thing — don’t put too much pressure on yourself to make the moment bigger than it already is. Just go out there and have fun and sling the rock a little bit.”

Offensive lineman Will Post (76) participated in the Atlanta Falcons rookie minicamp from May 3 to 5.

Former Eagles offensive tackle Will Post is getting a week head start on Herd and Padron. Post was invited to the Atlanta Falcons rookie minicamp, one of the nine camps that ran from May 3 to 5.

“I was expecting a call from my agent or a team after the draft, but I didn’t get one,” Post said. “And then I got a call from my agent saying that I wasn’t going to sign a free-agent [contract] anywhere, and then he said, ‘We’re working on getting you a tryout.’ That’s when he told me I was headed to Atlanta.”

Post signed an injury waiver as opposed to a free-agent deal, and he hopes to earn a contract offer with his play. If not, Post said he will try to attend one of the 23 rookie minicamps that run from May 10 to 12 or look into the Canadian Football League. “I’m honestly just trying to take it one step at a time, and the first goal right now is to just be able to sign a contract with the Falcons.”

After returning from his tryout, Post said the minicamp went very well, and he is currently waiting for a call to see if he is going back.

Former wide receiver Nicholas Edwards signed a contract with the Minnesota Vikings and participated in their minicamp from May 3 to 5. He was assigned to wear No. 19.

On May 6, the Vikings released Edwards and punter Chris Kluwe after signing two players who participated in the team’s rookie minicamp on a tryout basis.

Edwards was released by the Vikings on May 6 and is looking to sign with another team.

Follow me on Twitter @PeterSowards or at @EasternerSports