Climbers reach for advancement

Climbers reach for advancement

The climbing club has started the fourth year of its official existence and plans to win its third Northwest Collegiate Climbing Competition led by club president James Mowet.
With the season just starting, the club meets Thursdays next to the rock wall at 5 p.m.. “All people are welcome and encouraged to join,” Mowet said, who is looking to expand the membership and get more people involved.
The cost to join the club is only $10 per quarter, making it one of the cheapest clubs on campus.
Danielle Hadaway is a first year member who joined the club after being invited by a friend. “Even as a beginning climber it was enjoyable, and the other members are very willing to help guide and teach,” Hadaway said. “A lot of fun people there and you never know how much fun it is until you try.”
Kevin Klim, the club adviser, said “If you want to be active, but don’t have a competitive bone in your body, join climbing club”. Klim went on to say that it is a very encouraging atmosphere where everyone is rooting for one another to succeed and for these reasons climbing club is a great option.
The club is involved with the Northwest Collegiate Climbing Competition league, which formed in 2010 with six teams but since then has expanded to eight teams. The climbing club enters five to six competitions a year in this league. In 2010 and 2011, the club took first place in the league and third in 2012 so they are looking to regain the title this upcoming year.
The climbing club has been an official club since Fall of 2009. “Since 2009 the club has received this funding that allows for transportation to club events which is very helpful” Klim said.
The safety equipment used by participants consists of rope, harnesses, carabiners, helmets and a bouldering pad. The club itself does not own any of its own equipment but instead rents from the university.
Mowet said “Climbing is inherently dangerous,” and the team takes all precautions necessary to ensure the safety of its members.