What happened to EWU Confessions?

By Summer Sandstrom, Contributor

Eagle Confessions, a student-run social media account, posts students’ confessions and keeps you up to date on all the latest and juicy gossip on campus.

The account has been around for over 5 years, and it currently has over 5,000 followers. It’s a place for students’ funny, shocking, and serious secrets to be posted with a funny Instagram caption curated by the individual running the account.

But finding interesting confessions and posting on a regular basis isn’t easy, according to the account owner.

“It’s a TON of work, a lot more work than I thought,” he said.

And while the account tries to mainly post funny or shocking confessions, the submissions that they receive have changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“When I first started, I would try to post confessions that were funny, interesting, or shocking, but as the world changed with COVID-19, the submissions changed as well.”

I would try to post confessions that were funny, interesting, or shocking.” -Eagles Confessions

The account now receives many negative submissions, mainly regarding student opinions on the university, such as people complaining about the university failing them or why they dislike aspects of Eastern.

This is disappointing to Eagle Confessions, as he has thoroughly enjoyed his time here so far.

“I honestly love Eastern,” he said. “It’s so clear that the students here are enjoying their time at Eastern less than I have seen in my time here.”

The account has been focusing on posting content that highlights the positives of Eastern, with the goal of changing the overall student perspective he has witnessed.

“I want to give Eagles a reason to love EWU…a reason that’s always been there, but some just haven’t realized.”

“It’s so clear that the students here are enjoying their time at Eastern less than I have seen in my time here.” -Eagles Confessions

The owner of the account also views it as a great way to create a stronger sense of community at the university and create connections that occur outside of classes, clubs, and organizations.

“It’s the place where Eagles relate to one another. That transcends the clubs and orgs you’re a part of, the major you belong to, or the people you associate with.”

Running the account and finding true, interesting confessions isn’t easy, but the account owner finds it fulfilling and fun.

“It’s really exciting when I’m on campus and I overhear ‘Hey, did you see that confession?’”

To keep up with Eagle Confessions, or to submit confessions of your own, follow them on Instagram @ewu_confessions or on Twitter @ConfessionsEWU.