Eagles fall to Weber State on senior day, face rematch against Wildcats to open Big Sky Tournament

By Drew Lawson, Reporter

The emotions of Senior Day were not able to propel the EWU women’s basketball team to a victory on Saturday, as the Eagles (9-11, 10-19) fell to last-place Weber State (3-17, 6-25) 70-66 in the final game of the regular season.

Weber was aided by a 9-0 run in the fourth quarter, to flip a five-point Eagle lead. EWU head coach Wendy Schuller told The Easterner that the Wildcat’s ability to get in the lane was a main reason for the turnaround. Weber outscored EWU 34-22 in points in the paint.

“We were a step slow in … recovering back,” Schuller said. “That hurt us a lot and they knocked down big shots.”

Schuller also mentioned the foul discrepancy as a key to EWU’s loss. EWU was called for 20 fouls, while Weber was whistled for 10. Many of the calls were disputed by the EWU bench, but Schuller declined to comment about the officiating.

The Eagles were led by freshman guard Grace Kirscher, who scored 18 points off the bench. Senior guard Kapri Morrow added 16 points and five rebounds, while senior forward Alissa Sealby had 14 points and four rebounds. Junior forward Uriah Howard contributed 10 points and seven rebounds off the bench.

The Big Sky Tournament is up next for EWU, beginning on Monday. EWU will be the No. 6 seed in the tournament and play Weber again in the opening round.

“We’re ready,” Kirscher said. “All of these games are on us … we need to make the adjustment.”

Tip-off for EWU’s first round BSC Tournament game against Weber  is scheduled for 7 p.m.. All tournament games will be played in Boise, Idaho.