Resilient Eagles push home win streak to six against Northern Colorado

Sophomore guard Jacob Davison is helped off the court after suffering a sprained ankle with just under 10 minutes remaining in the second half. The Eagles didn’t score for the last three and a half minutes of regulation, but dominated the overtime period to win 88-78.

By Taylor Newquist, Sports Editor

EWU extended its home winning streak to six games against Big Sky Conference second-place team Northern Colorado, while losing top scorer Jacob Davison with a sprained ankle in the process.

The Eagles (9-15, 7-6) topped the Bears (17-9, 11-4) 88-78 in overtime. EWU held the lead for a majority of the second half, but didn’t score for the last three minutes and 35 seconds of regulation allowing UNC to tie the game with 24 seconds left.

EWU was trapped in the corner after an inbounds pass and UNC forced a Tyler Kidd turnover, giving the Bears a chance to win the game in regulation.

With the clock winding down, Kidd stole the ball from UNC’s Jordan Davis and went in for a layup as time expired. His attempt was blocked and the stadium erupted, begging for a foul to be called.

“It wasn’t a foul I was just crying for one,” head coach Shantay Legans said. “We’ve been in that position before a couple times. We needed a stop to win the game or a stop to go to overtime and we’ve done it.”

EWU never trailed in overtime.

Mason Peatling said that experience aided them after regulation.

“Jesse (Hunt) and I, when we were youngin’s saw great Eagle teams win a lot of overtime games,” Peatling said. “We get there and we’re running down hill with the wind at our backs, the crowd is going crazy and it gives a couple of Eagles the chance to get to 20 points.”

Peatling (24 points), Hunt (21 points) and Kidd (21 points) led the team in scoring.

Davison exited the game with just under 10 minutes remaining in the second half after taking a hard fall on his right ankle. He had to be helped off the court, but his status for Monday’s game against Idaho is questionable.

The Eagles will be back on Reese Court on Monday against Idaho, tentatively scheduled for 4:30 p.m. The men’s game will follow the women who tip-off at 2:05 p.m.