Eagles sweep state of Montana

Sophomore+guard+Jacob+Davison+celebrates+a+made+basket+in+the+Eagles%27+85-81+win+over+Montana+State+on+Saturday.+Davison+scored+a+team-high+23+points.+

Eagles sweep state of Montana

Sophomore guard Jacob Davison celebrates a made basket in the Eagles' 85-81 win over Montana State on Saturday. Davison scored a team-high 23 points.

Bailey Monteith

Bailey Monteith

Bailey Monteith

By Taylor Newquist, Sports Editor

Sometimes the smallest player on the court can make the biggest difference.

Five-foot-nine-inch junior guard Tyler Kidd scored a career-high 17 points on way to the Eagles’ (5-12, 3-3) 85-81 win over Montana State (7-10, 4-3) on Saturday.

Kidd opened the game shooting six-of-six from the field.

“I was just feeling good,” Kidd said. “Honestly they just kept going underneath, and you keep going underneath I’m going to shoot it everytime.”

MSU’s Tyler Hall scored 26 points and broke the Big Sky record for most points in a career, previously held by EWU’s all-time scoring leader Bogdan Bliznyuk. Despite Hall’s efforts, the Bobcats couldn’t keep up with the Eagles’ 57.9 percent shooting from the field.

Head coach Shantay Legans said that having a consistent lineup has made the difference as of late.

“It’s hard because in the beginning of the season is when you’re trying to figure out guys roles,” Legans said. “Whenever you’re able to put guys in their positions is when you see the best team chemistry on the court.”

Sophomore guard Jacob Davison added 23 points and senior forward Jesse Hunt contributed a double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds. Hunt led the team with four 3-pointers.

MSU cut the EWU lead to two points with just over a minute remaining, but an offensive rebound from junior forward Mason Peatling gave the Eagles a new shot clock, forcing the Bobcats to foul.

Peatling made one of two bonus-free throws and MSU’s Blevins missed a 3-point opportunity to tie, sealing the game. EWU led for the final 24 minutes and 47 seconds of the game.

Hunt said that having Peatling in the lineup has helped the Eagles counter opponent’s momentum.

“When we get down and sometimes I even tend to drop my head, Mason is always bringing us in and saying, ‘hey lets go’,” Hunt said.

EWU has now won back-to-back games for the first time this season. The Eagles entered the game most recently beating BSC preseason-favorite Montana 78-71.

The Eagles now travel to Portland to play Portland State on Jan. 24. It will be the first of a two-game road trip that will end against Sacramento State on Jan. 26. EWU won’t be back on Reese Court until Feb. 2 when Southern Utah comes to Cheney.

About the Contributors
Taylor Newquist, Sports Editor

Taylor Newquist is The Easterner’s Sports Editor. Newquist, a senior studying journalism, was born in Yakima, and graduated Selah High School in 2015....