Best signs extension through 2024

Best signs extension through 2024

Head coach Aaron Best celebrates with the team after a turnover in EWU's semifinal win over Maine on Dec. 15. Best has spent 22 years as a player and coach with EWU.

Bailey Montieth

Bailey Montieth

Bailey Montieth

By Taylor Newquist, Sports Editor

Fresh off the second best finish in EWU football history, that saw the Eagles lose 38-24 in the FCS National Championship game, second-year head coach Aaron Best has signed a two-year contract extension that will go through 2024, EWU Athletic Director Lynn Hickey announced on Jan. 10.

“I am certainly grateful and humbled at the opportunity to be the head football coach for the foreseeable future,” Best said. “EWU and Cheney are special to our family.”

Best was named the FCS coach of the year by Hero Sports, for leading the Eagles to a 12-3 record and a share of the Big Sky title.

From his time as a player at EWU, Best has spent a total of 22 seasons with the Eagles, most recently as the offensive line coach under former coach Beau Baldwin, who is the only other EWU coach to bring the team to the title game.

Hickey said that the administration is thrilled to have Best sign the extension.

“We appreciate his leadership and success of our football program,” Hickey said. “We know Aaron has big expectations for the future and we are anxious to see how that unfolds.”

There was speculation over another crucial coaching position on Jan. 9, with FootballScoop.com reporting that offensive coordinator Bodie Reeder was going to be joining the Oklahoma State staff under Mike Gundy, most likely returning to the quarterbacks coach position he held three years ago. Reeder denied the report according to The Spokesman-Review.

About the Writer
Taylor Newquist, Sports Editor

Taylor Newquist is The Easterner’s Sports Editor. Newquist, a senior studying journalism, was born in Yakima, and graduated Selah High School in 2015....