Good weather, great results for men’s track and field

By Grace Pohl, Staff Writer

The EWU men’s track and field team participated in two meets on April 1 and 2, the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto, California and the Al Manuel Northwest Dual Meet in Missoula, Montana.

The men who competed at the Stanford Invite were as follows:

Sophomore Jeremy VanAssche – 100-meter and 200-meter

Junior Austin Upmeyer – 400-meter

Senior Joey Payne – Javelin

Freshman Larry Still – Pole Vault

Even though he had already qualified, VanAssche had a qualifying time for the Big Sky Conference Outdoor Championship in the 200-meter with a time of 21.65 seconds. He also placed fourth in the 100-meter with a time of 10.53.

Also at the Stanford Invite, Payne took third place overall in the javelin with a toss of 200-7.

At the Al Manuel Northwest Dual Meet, senior Aaron Brenton took third place in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:54.29, while junior Austin Oser placed third in the 1,500-meter with a 3:59.18 time.

“This was the first year the meet didn’t have bad weather,” said Oser. “Going into the meet I was a little skeptical because my workouts have been gearing me up for the 5,000 and 10,000-meter races, but I ended up coming away with an eight second personal best so I was really pleased with how the meet went.”

Freshman Chez Jackson took third in the 400-meter dash with a time of 49.30. Freshman Ammon Auna took third in the 200-meter with a time of 23.35 and freshman Jonah Mathews placed second in the 100-meter with a time of 10.81.

“I’m excited about what lies ahead for our team. Today’s performances are far ahead of where we were at this time last year. We’re proud of both the Stanford and Missoula squads. Chez Jackson had a breakout meet with his high jump and 400-meter race. We are looking forward to carrying the good energy from this and the Stanford meet into next week’s home meet,” head coach Stan Kerr said.