Freshman starts disc golf club

By Christina Jordan, Staff Writer

Have you ever thrown something at a complete stranger? Logan Hill, a freshman at EWU, has been throwing discs at people all week.

Hill came to Eastern hoping to start a disc golf club. For the past week, Hill has been recruiting interested students and breaking the ice to begin a conversation.

“I throw my discs at people and say, ‘Catch,”’ said Hill. There have been a few that have caught it, some that don’t catch it and some that just walk away. I talk to them and try to get them excited about joining any club, but mainly disc golf.”

Hill found the majority of the 25 people who have already signed up for the club on the streets of Cheney and at Rec’Splosion.

Hill’s interest in disc golf began three and a half years ago when he started playing with his dad. “My dad has played for seven years, and he got me into the game,” said Hill.

Hill’s father was Washington state’s intermediate champion last year. Hill, his father and some friends have a team called the Sunday Huckers. They play every Sunday, and it has been a bonding time for them. In this way, Hill’s father inspired him to start the club.

“My dad kept telling me to join the disc club if they had one, but there wasn’t one, so I decided to start it,” said Hill.

“My goal with this club is to meet a lot of people who are interested in disc golf,” said Hill. “I would also like to make a course here on campus.”

Rick Scott, the campus recreation coordinator of club sports, said that within the next two years Eastern was tentatively planning on putting in a disc golf course, and there have been attempts to talk to the board about putting it on campus. Hill has already drawn up a whole map of where he would like the course to be.

“Jon Evans, the manager for the General Store, has already sponsored me with discs,” said Hill. “I will get a packet of discs for a discounted price from them.”

“Logan is actually the first student to propose creating a formal disc golf club that I know of,” said Lesli Younger, the adviser of the Ultimate Frisbee club. “There have been several faculty members who have taken initial steps to begin the process of proposing the creation of a disc golf course at EWU. None of these efforts succeeded.”

Hill hopes that Younger will be the adviser for the club.

“Our club will meet once a month and the goal of the meetings will be basically to meet people,” said Hill. “We will do some ice breakers so that everyone can meet people who are interested in the same things that they are.”

The meetings will be once a month. There will be two meeting days so if members miss the first meeting, they can go to the next.

“When you go out on the course with your team, it’s like hanging out with your family,” said Hill. “Then at a tournament, it’s like all your in-laws, our extended family.”

Disc golf is a sport for all seasons, but it is played a little less during the winter. However, there are a few winter tournaments.

“If someone is interested in this club, just come out and play,” said Hill. “If you would like to be taught, let me know. It doesn’t matter if you are good or not; it is just fun, relieves stress and is a nice way to meet people.”

The name of the club will be Disc Golf Eagles. The motto will be “Let your discs fly like eagles.”

“Disc golf is a fun, inexpensive, healthy activity that anyone can enjoy,” said Younger. “It would be positive addition to the EWU Campus.”