No Man’s Land Film Festival returns to EWU

The+No+Man%27s+Land+Film+Festival+Returns+to+EWU+on+March+1+at+the+Spokane+EWU+Center.+

The No Man's Land Film Festival Returns to EWU on March 1 at the Spokane EWU Center.

Courtesy of the No Man's Land Film Festival

By Erik Rotness, A&F Editor

EPIC Adventures will host the No Man’s Land Film Festival for the second year in a row on March 1 at the Spokane EWU Center, beginning National Women’s History Month with adventure films from a woman’s perspective.

“It’s a film festival that’s trying to change the dialogue of what it means to be a woman in the outdoors,” Outdoor Program Coordinator for EPIC Adventures Madison Kinder said.

According to Kinder, videos in the festival highlight different aspects of women in outdoor adventure, whether that’s through long bike tours, beginning an adventure sport or doing parasports.

Based out of Carbondale, Colorado, The NMLFF is in its fourth year and is touring internationally.

“NMLFF celebrates the full scope of woman-identified athletes and adventurers, looking to undefine what it means to be a woman in adventure, sport and film,” according to a press release from the NMLFF.

Kinder says that the film festival opens up the conversation of what it means to be a woman in adventure to students and could benefit those that are new to outdoor adventure who might think they don’t have a place in the outdoor field.

“I think the typical view of what an in quotes outdoor adventurer looks like is you have to be some extreme, burly, super-hardcore person, and a lot of times when we think of that, the picture we all kind of have in our heads is of a man,” Kinder said. “I think that narrative is changing …”

Kinder says that the idea behind the film festival is that each woman should have the right to define what femininity means to them, regardless of where they are and what they’re doing.

While the films begin at 7 p.m. doors open at 6 p.m. for students to engage with community partners tabling at the event, representing organizations for hiking, climbing and adaptive adventures.

Following the films, there will be a panel discussion with Allison Roskelley­—an Adidas TERREX ambassador in Spokane who completed the first stand-up paddleboarding descent of the Spokane River—and Lindsay Morgan-Chutas—former director of the Spokane Mountaineers Mountain School and riparian program leader for the Spokane Conservation District.

Tickets are $2.50 and free for EWU students. Tickets will be available at the door but should be purchased in advance by calling EPIC Adventures at 509-359-4014 or visiting its front desk.