Women’s track finishes third, best ever placement

By Riley Baker, Staff Writer

Women’s track finished in third place, the best placement for women’s track and field in school history, at the Big Sky Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships in Bozeman, Montana.

Sophomore Rebecca Tarbert broke a school record in the women’s 60-meter, finishing with a time of 7.47 seconds in preliminaries on Feb. 26 and finished with a time of 7.51 to win the race.

Tarbert also won the short-sprint indoor title, the sixth in school history and the first since 2004. She had a preliminary time of 25.01 in the 200-meter to rank her No. 4 all-time at EWU and placed sixth with a time of 25.03.

The women’s team finished in third place with 79.5 points after finishing in fourth place last year. The team broke its previous school record of 68 points, set in 2015.

Other all-conference finishers included redshirt senior Katie Mahoney who finished third in the mile with a time of 4:58.85. Junior Sarah Reiter finished second in the 3,000-meter with a time of 9:55.99 and sophomore Dominique Butler finished second in the triple jump with a distance of 39 1/2.

The women’s distance medley relay team finished with a time of 11:51.19 to win the school’s first indoor women’s relay title, breaking the previous record set last season of 11:51.50. The team consisted of junior Paula Gil-Echevarria, junior Brooke Monson, sophomore Leanne Asper and Mahoney.

Mahoney finished sixth in the 3,000-meter in her third and final event at the conference championships with a time of 10:08.27.

The 4×400 relay team of junior Paige Hammock, junior Erika Lombardo, Monson and Asper finished eighth with a time of 3:56.78.

Redshirt junior Anandae Clark finished in a tie for fifth place in the pole vault with a height of 12-2 1/2.

The Eagles had two finishers in the shot put, including senior Kaytlyn Coleman finishing fourth with a distance of 47-6 1/4 and redshirt junior Kelsie Forcier finishing eighth with a distance of 45-5 1/4.

“As is the nature of track and field, we had events that we didn’t do as well in as we had hoped and events that we performed way beyond expectations,” said women’s head coach Marcia Mecklenburg. “Our third place finish was the best the women have ever had indoors and has made the program hungry to do better as we head into the outdoor season.”