More diversity needed in two-credit classes

By Joe Matthews, Staff Writer

There are many one and two-credit classes offered at Eastern, but what is lacking is diversity amongst those classes.

Almost every one of those classes requires physical activity, whether it be Yoga, Zumba or, of course, Fast Fitness. There are a couple non-P.E. classes scattered throughout our vast catalogues that are two credits, like Introduction to Children Studies or Practical Problem Solving, but nothing that proves to be the safety net and potential GPA-saver our fitness classes are.

While working out is definitely a good thing to encourage, Eastern should be promoting other activities that let students express themselves while obtaining minimal credits.

A two-credit class could be crucial for someone who needs a full schedule because of financial aid, but also needs to work to support themselves. Taking two five-credit classes and one easy two-credit class could lift a huge weight off one’s shoulders. But when the only two-credit classes require working out, it can become a burden.

While some enjoy working out, there are other activities some students might enjoy more.

“I personally don’t have a problem with it, and I think that the variety of classes is to encourage good health,” said EWU senior Darrin Love. “However, I do think that they should offer more low-credit classes. Something like a photography or writing class where you still need to complete a set number of assignments in order to pass.”

This is a great idea. Having an art class that requires two one-hour assignments a week would take just as much time as a workout class. Two hours per week for 10 weeks is equivalent to the amount of time required for a 4.0 in Fast Fitness, so why can’t that time be used for things people who prefer not to work out find worthwhile?

Not only are there people who don’t want to work out, there are people who physically can’t work out. Those with disabilities are very limited in the number of low-credit classes offered to them just because they are physically unable to meet the requirements.

As of 2012, 11 percent of college students reported having a disability, according to the Institute of Education Sciences, and though not all students may have mobility issues, those who do should be accommodated for.

There are several people in classes such as Fast Fitness who barely do anything and are rewarded with a 4.0 just for showing up; for some it’s just sitting on a bike and watching TV or sitting on a Yoga ball texting.

For those who want a reliable 4.0 in a two-credit class but don’t want to spend it at the gym, there should be other options. Some people need a way to make a full schedule without exerting lots of energy at the gym; others are just seeking an easy 4.0 but don’t want to obtain it through working out.

Taking this and the fact that there are students who physically can’t participate in P.E. classes into consideration, it would be of great convenience, and probably more enjoyable for those who don’t want to work out, if Eastern offered more of a variety of minimal-credit classes.